1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Acoustic Guitar Recording

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Flavy, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Flavy

Flavy Guest

Hey all ... when i record my acoustic guitar .. the mic picks up alot of the strumming sound .. as in .. the pick .. hittin the strings ... any way to minimize that ??? thanks :)

2. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

I personally love the sound of the pick "clicking" on each string but if you really want to minimize it; several ways to do so.

1. Point your microphone "off axis" about 60 degrees. This will cut the top end considerably with most microphones.

2. Patch in an equalizer after the mic pre and adjust everything above 5K down a few dB (your taste)

3. Move the microphone farther away from the instrument. (and see #1 above)

4. Use a guitar amplifier and close mic technique, adjusting the "tone" controls on the amplifier, put the amplifier in another room and feed another mic from that to your recorder.

5. Record flat..and use eq in post production.

Experiment around..eventually you will find the flavor you are looking for.

3. dwoz

dwoz Guest

SDC pointed at the 12th fret, about 4" off the board. LDC in figure 8 about 2 feet off the body (back of the bridge), with the guitar in the null.

also, use a thicker pick so it doesn't flap and slap against the strings, but just makes string tone.

dwoz

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Play it with the style that doesnt emphasis the 'pick strumming technique'.....

or what?

Okay okay....I'm pissy....

Its really quite simple and its also proof positive that mic placement coupled with performance is the 'rule-of-thumb' on any session.

5. Flavy

Flavy Guest

thanks alot for the suggestions....the picking sound was minimized after i put the mic off axis :) thanks again !!!