Acoustic guitars for recording?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by audiokid, Feb 19, 2016.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    update. The 914ce is just beautiful. I couldn't be happier. Everything about it is perfection. I have it at 43% humidity and the mid-range is moving forward, sounding better all the time, warmer and full.

All these years ... wow... never knowing what effect humidity has on acoustic guitars.

pcrecord likes this.
  2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    taylorsense

I just installed taylorsense. It took 30 minutes to loosen the strings, R & R and battery packs, re-tune and it works as described (very cool).
    The humidity sensor is why I bought it and I'm confident to say... it works excellent. (y)
    I compared the taylorsense reading to a D'addario hygrometer and they are within 1% of each other so that's good enough for me.
    I figured something that will read the humidity from my iPhone is well worth the add-on cost for this device.

The tuner is okay but I'm old school and prefer a fork and my trusty ears.
    The temp gauge seems spot on.
    Impact reader, well I hope I never see how it works.

I hope they add something that can tell me where my guitar is at at times, that would be a major bonus!

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Here is the inside of the 914ce. You can see the armrest bevel. The craftsman ship is stellar. Very clean and precise.
    The bevel is the 1 inch area between the rosewood and spruce top. The other image is what the bridge looks like inside the body.

Attached Files:

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
  5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    pcrecord likes this.
  6. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    From the negative aspect of having Taylor Sense installed.... I suppose their is now a complete history being recorded. I suspect if my guitar ever dropped into the low humidity range... it could void warranty. :cautious:

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

that's the main problem i see with all the convinces the internet offers. connectivity is great, but all that info is available to whoever wants to see it bad enough.

as you've pointed out, every thing has two sides to it. kind of like anything we own, also owns us.

audiokid likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Indeed, Kurt. Everything is linking us to a trap or gateway. Software, userfee's, engineered life spans of cars, appliances... its goes on and on and we all keep taking it, accepting it because the alternative, going without... just seems too slow paced or inconvenient etc.

What's ironic... I always wanted and deserve an acoustic guitar that I can play and now that I have it, I am a slave to humidity control. Now that I know how important that is, its unrealistic that I can maintain it perfectly all the time without setbacks as well.

I am so sick of being a slave to the system, and am getting away from all the technology for a while ( I need some peace for a while) yet I can't even have an acoustic guitar that just sits on a stand without having to be worried about humidity lol.

I could just accept the ups and downs... but I am too damn fussy for my own good.

9. Kurt Foster

sure you could. just get a Craigslist cheapo p.o.s. you won't care so much for. there's plenty of decent playing good sounding Asian guitars available.

this facet is one reason i am trying to cash out a lifetime of purchases. i don't play that much and all my recording equipment isn't being helped just sitting there and allowing ll the caps to dry out.

it does make me wonder, what did everyone do before all these humidity sensors came along? seems like it may be a lot of hokum to some degree.

10. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I have a cheapo but its like playing something that will never achieve why I play the way I can or to get inspired to play. But, yes.. example, the Taylor 314ce hung on my stand and never changed nor did I care about humidity. But is is nothing like this 914ce either.

exactly.

Same reason why I've sold most of my recording gear as well. Other factors too but, my justification is for sure about the caps, pots etc all drying out.
    I'm a firm believer, if I don't use electronic gear, I sell it. If I ever get to a point where I will do this again for money, I will buy what I need but my throat is so ^#$%ed and my career as a singer or songwriter requires me to rely on others and that is like waiting to win the lottery now. ITB, a few high quality pre's, ADDA, mics... I'm good. Sequoia is so awesome on its own... mixing or mastering gear is moot. Total waste of money imho.

I thought that too until I started measuring everything as humidity increased and decreased. Humidity is very serious. Even the tone changes to good better and wow as the level rises. Less humidity, more thin and tinny sounding. What does that tell you?

11. Kurt Foster

the wood is drying out. dry wood will be harder and sound brighter while wood that has more moisture will dampen the highs.

maybe the answer to my own question is with older guitars that were built with old growth woods, the humidity factor isn't so much an issue?

12. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Exactly my understanding as well.

Think about how many people are tracking dry guitars with poor ADC, cheapo mic pres and mics in less than sweet rooms. From the time I started this thread to now, I have learned a ton about acoustic guitars. Humidity is a huge factor to much of an acoustic performance and sound.
    Thinking back in time... tape is once again, a forgiving factor when it comes to recording acoustic guitars as well.

Back to hydration and age of wood. Accordingly to my research on where Taylor gets their wood for this guitar, the top of the 914ce is old growth Sitka harvested close to where I live. The trees around that area are massive. Not saying they are harvesting these old gems, but for conversation, some of the beauties need 12 men all holding hands to circle it. The wood from this guitar in my hands is very old wood. I think tone is a lot more about hydration than I ever realized.

13. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Wow, I just bought a really nice Hygrometer from the 12th Fret. The gold case. I will proudly put it on my wall where my 914ce sits. Its a beautiful addition to any acoustic room.

Hygrometer.jpg

pcrecord likes this.
  14. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Update on guitar hydration.
    After approx 3 months hydrating, my guitar is absolutely perfect now. It took that long for it to absorb and balance out to an even 48%.

kmetal likes this.
  15. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Now if I could only play it. Shortly after I finally got my dream acoustics I unfortunately slammed my fingers between a large steel garage door, damn near cut them off (so lucky). I haven't been able to play but they are healing. Today is the first day I could tolerate string pressure on them.

Attached Files:

16. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

OUCH!!! Soon mate, glad you didn't lose any digits.

17. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Careful, don't end up like this :

giphy.gif

18. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Oh wow -- watch those fingers man! I played another 814 the other day -- it was critically lacking in the bottom and mid range --- it was the worst one I played yet (found it in Surrey). It makes me so curious to hear/see that 9! Glad it's working out well for you -- hope the finger mend quick. Go easy - you don't want to injure them while they heal.

19. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Thanks.

Wow is how I describe what humidity does for sound and performance.

I’m planning a trip to Vancouver (hopefully this year) and would love to visit you! I’ll bring it with me.

20. Makzimia

Makzimia The Minstrel Well-Known Member

This discussion reminds me most guitarists don’t take care of this aspect. There is certainly never any discussion by guitar sellers normally about storage conditions. I personally am the victim of lack of humidity on my Maton. Courtesy of Denver Colorado in the mid 90s. Lovely big cracks in the top.

audiokid likes this.