1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

ACPI vs Standard PC

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thedug, Sep 24, 2003.

1. thedug

thedug Guest

I have a friend whose system is foo bar and I am trying to help him.

It is a toshiba laptop and it is about a year old. And he has the MAudio Oxygen 8.

He is getting tons of strange artifacts and wierdness in his audio.

I noticed that there are only 15 IRQs so I am thinking of reinstalling as Standard PC. Anybody think I shouldn't do this?
  2. drbam

drbam Guest

If you haven't done so yet, would look first at the m-audio drivers. They are notoriously buggy with certain software.

3. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

Feb 14, 2003
    New Jersey (right outside the Big Apple!)
    Home Page:
    I'd check you the tips section of Opus' website.

FYI, if you end up going the standard PC route you'll end up with 16 IRQ's total if I remember correctly. ACPI mode (which has its own host of problems) allows for more IRQ's.
  4. jscott

jscott Guest

If XP - do not use STANDARD PC mode.
  5. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I've been down the Standard PC road before... a dead end.

There are 50 million lines of code in XP. IMO, it would be easy to get one or two of them confused by running the machine in a non-standard mode. Yes, this mode is available, but I doubt it is as thoroughly tested as ACPI mode.

A side effect of Standard PC mode is, the machine cannot power itself off during shutdown. If you have Motherboard Monitor, or another temp monitoring program trying to shut down due to a failed CPU fan, it will not do so. The magic smoke will then escape from your CPU and it won't work any more.
  6. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

May 8, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia (originally Boulder, CO, USA)
    Home Page:
    the upside to standard mode, is that you won't find all your devices sharing one irq and thus inhibiting optimal audio.

If you arent having problems, I wouldnt bother with it.

It IS a laptop, and apci mode will save the battery. Although if you are recording audio then i doubt you will be on battery for long. :)

Laptops have very slow harddrives, and a lot of them can step down the processor speed (usually when on battery).