1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Active FET preamp(acoustic guitar) direct....

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by Mydas Trust, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Mydas Trust

Mydas Trust Guest

...to the board, or analog audio microphone direct to the board? Pros and Cons? Suggestions?
    I will be recording a blues medly with acoustic guitar and a single voice. By the nature of the song, the medley is better played and sung simultaneously than overdubbed, and I need not be concerned with the physical placement or presence of an additional mike.
    Steve <mydastrust@hotmail.com>
  2. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Bloomington, IL
    Repeat after me "Acoustic guitar pick-ups are a necessary evil of the stage!" Use a mic.
  3. SlideMan

SlideMan Guest

Yes, pickups are evil and usually sound wretched compared to decent microphones.

After struggling with leakage for years on the old singer guitar/player problem using cardioids,I finally shifted to figure 8 patterns. By Pointing the null side of the figure 8's at what they shouldn't hear, you should be able to get sufficient isolation.
  4. SlideMan

SlideMan Guest

I just remembered the ultimate evil for studio acoustic guitar recording, the Ovation guitar. Stage yes, studio, never.
  5. Masternfool

Masternfool Active Member

Dec 3, 2001
    Why not use both, I got a very nice sound from a taylor mic'd up stereo and a DI added to flavor just for some additional bottom...You may have to delay the DI just a touch for time alignment..