1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

ADAT and other connections

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Filipe, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Filipe

Filipe Active Member

I was going through the options for budget multitrack interfaces and some don't have Firewire nor USB, but some other connecting ways like ADAT and S/PDIF. I'm specifically talking about Mackie Onyx 800R which I was thinking about getting but my laptop doesn't have those entries . How would I connect that interface on my PC or any PC with usb/Ilink(firewire)?

Thanks.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You would need an interface that accepts ADAT lightpipe. Low end interfaces sometimes use optical spdif which is not the same and carries only 2 channels.

3. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

What inputs does your laptop have? FW, USB, PCMCIA Cardbus?

A fairly forward connector of ADAT to FW would be the M-Audio Lightbridge. This is however only a single suggestion and I don't have any experience with that thing. It does allow for another 800R if you would expand.

4. Filipe

Filipe Active Member

Nevermind this, it wasn't what I wanted to ask. Thanks for replying though.

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

You seem confused.

USB, firewire, PCMCIA, PCI: These are ways of connecting an interface to your computer.

ADAT/Lightpipe: These are ways of getting audio from one bit of gear to another (for example, a block of preamps to your interface).