1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Adding keyboards to studio setup

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by halfcircle, Nov 10, 2006.

1. halfcircle

halfcircle Guest

I have a very basic setup (Zoom MRS802B, Rode NT1, various acoustic, electric & bass guitars).....

I can play basic piano, and am now looking to record some keyboard parts (strings etc) into my songs. I have no idea about MIDI, sequencing, plugins and so on.

Therefore, am I better off getting a digital piano (with strings on) and plugging straight into multitracker, for around £500 - or go for a midi keyboard and link through PC, again budget of arount £500.

If it would be advisable to go the midi way, can anybody suggest a Dummies guide as to how I would integrate this into my setup?
  2. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Go with a controller and softsynths. It will save you LOTS of money in the long run.

When you want new sounds you just buy new software and not have to pay for a module or keyboard every time.

Many of the developers are very good about upgrades, either for free or at a very reasonable cost.

You will not have to figure out the MIDI configuration of a new keyboard every time you upgrade.

You also won't end up with a wall of keyboards and a rack full of modules like I used to have, half of which were faves when I got them and then slowly migrated to the bottom of the rack as new faves replaced them. I never realized how roomy my control room actually was until I made the switch.

Good luck and have fun.
  3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    Well, it sort of depends on the sounds you want.

You've got 4 options.
    1. Cheapo portable keyboard
    2. Digital piano
    2. MIDI controller
    3. Synthesizer

Portable Keyboard:
    The average portable keyboard (the ones with the built in speakers and rhythms) generally sound crappy. Some of them aren't too bad though. Because of the sound of these, I wouldn't recommend them, but try them out, there are ones that have a decent sound and you may find one that fits your needs.

Digital piano:
    I consider a digital piano to be one of those keyboards that has a full 88 keys...sometimes weighted and is like a keyboard and stand all in one. They look like a little piano sort of. The sound on these can range from OK to really good. They will generally cover a wide variety of different piano and string sounds and some have other types of sounds as well. A lot include additional features like recording or accompaniment (sp?). If piano and strings is all you need and you can find one in your price range that sounds good, I would recommend getting it but make sure it has external outputs.

MIDI Controller:
    A MIDI controller does not have any sounds. It's just a keyboard designed to control other MIDI devices (computer plug-ins, other MIDI gear). This would only be useful to you if you are recording into a computer and you had software plug-ins to use for sounds. You did mention that you could run through a PC before going into your recorder so this would give you more options than the portable keyboard because there is a large number of different types of VST instruments that you could use. However, if your just getting started with this and not really a keyboard player, I wouldn't recommend going this route...at least not at this stage.

Strictly from a sound point of view, these offer the most options. Synthesizers are (generally) professional keyboards. With one you get a great set of sounds, which can be modified, unlike on an portable keyboard or digital piano. A Synth doesn't require a computer or other MIDI device to use. You can just plug the outputs into your recording device. Synths include MIDI capabilities and as such can be used as a MIDI controller so they are great for future use. Some of them even include effects which can enhance the sound. For expandability and sound quality, I would recommend synths. But your price range may limit what synths you could get. You may want to look for a used synth or because your only looking for piano and string type of sounds, you may be able to find a new model that doesn't have all the bells and whistles that they usually have. Check out the Roland Juno D.