1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

ADM 1540 Equalizer

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by edaub1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. edaub1

edaub1 Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    So I was given a free pair of (what seem to look old) ADM 1540 equalizers today and I'm very unfamiliar with the product. I am not finding much info online. The ones I'm seeing online have the actual number "1540" engraved next to "ADM" but mine do not. I attached a photo. Any info on worth or the year it was made would be great. I've attached a photo.

*** bonus points. Where could I get these fixed up?

Attached Files:

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Moderator (Distinguished Member) Resource Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Akron/Cleveland, OH
    Home Page:
    sorry for the delay in response... I was away from RO for a little while and am still catching up on past posts, especially those that have gone unanswered. I help when I can. Unfortunately, what I know about ADM is pretty limited, so I don't know how much help I can actuially be with your query, but I'll tell you what I do know, and suggest, and you can decide from there. Fair enough? :)

I would think that any very good audio repair guy could probably help you out, but my instinct hunch tells me that maybe Vintage King would be a place to start. I'm not saying that VK would be the ones to actually service your EQ mods, but I think they'd be a good place to start to find out who would be qualified... and ya never know, VK just might service ADM gear... I just can't say for sure.

Vintage King

ADM was a console manufacturer, founded by owner Bob Blume ( sic?) in the 60's, and many of his consoles became popular in broadcasting - radio and TV, - although a few were installed into recording studios as well. While not as popular as the other choices of the time - RCA, Neve, EMI, Universal Audio, Braun, Helios, etc... they were still considered to be well-made desks. They just didn't catch on as much as the others did - perhaps because ADM was targeting sales and installs at radio and TV stations more than recording studios.

Past that, I really don't know much more about them;, I've cooked on a lot of consoles over the years but I can't remember ever doing so on an ADM. I've seen them a time or two over the years, but I've never actually mixed on one. They just weren't that commonly found in studios.

I guess I look at it this way.... if KDKA in Pittsburgh ( The world's first commercially licensed radio station) felt that an ADM desk was good enough for them, then I'm sure it was a fine desk. ;)