1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Adobe Audition "Sync Lock Tracks"

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by mlerch, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

Hi.. I'm new here. I'm used to working with Audacity for all my audio editing needs but I recently got around to buying Adobe Audition 5.5 and I'm doing my best to figure it out.

My question is; Audacity has a feature that I use a lot when I'm editing audio called "Sync Lock Tracks". When I have it enabled, for every track loaded in Audacity if I highlight an area of the track to remove it, when I do it keeps everything after that synchronized. I can't seem to find a way to do that in Adobe Audition.. I figured the fine members of this forum could give me some insight on this.

Thanks,
    -Lerch

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Depending on your actual goal. Audition like most high end DAWs do not destructively edit. There are two immediate proceedures that come to mind. If you are shortening a clip you just slide the end point to the desired place. If you need to remove a middle chunk you can split the clip and then delete or simply grab the volume automation and pull it down for that chunk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

3. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

Hmm, I didn't think about that. There is the razor tool that I can use to split it and then delete. Nice, thanks!

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I've been utilizing Adobe Audition since it was called Cool Edit 96 & Cool Edit Pro. Having come from an analog tape background, we would frequently mix tracks to the stereo machine. We would make a mistake, back up the master multitrack and continue. We would then edit together that makes down to create the finished track/song. I still frequently work that way even in Adobe Audition once I have done my mix down. I then go into the Edit window and destructively edit the song together the way I want it. The caveat here is that if the edit does not work the way you want it to, you can simply undo and do it again until you get it right. I used to be a monster editor with a grease pencil, edit block and razor blade. I rather like still working that way where I don't have to worry about undoing an edit and having to slice back in a one eighth inch chunk or editing out an additional 1/8 inch chunk or whatever it took. This software is so freaking powerful, so are the others, you have a myriad of different ways to accomplish what you want where we only had one way in the past.

Pagganini violin concertos spliced in the middle of 32nd note runs amazed a lot of people.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

5. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

How would I keep multiple tracks synchronized if I cut out something?

Here is a picture.

On the left is Adobe Audition C5.5 and on the right is Audacity 2.0.0. I am using the same tracks in both for this demonstration. As you can see in Audacity I have highlighted an area with the "Sync Lock Tracks" enabled. If I press "DEL" on my keyboard to delete that area, it deletes it across all three tracks rather than if it were disabled from the one track keeping the rest of the audio synced. How can I do that in Adobe Audition? Because as it seems right now, it doesn't look like I will be able to do that (which I wish I could) because that would help me so so much. The waveform in Audition looks so much better and easier to manage than in Audacity. It's not difficult in Audacity, I just prefer a slick professional interface and the extra tools that Audition offers at my disposal.

The "Sync Lock Tracks" also works with copy/pasting (eg, creating silence between question and response by copying existing silence and pasting it)

I don't know audio terms.. sadly.. I just work with the software. I'm very familiar with Audacity but I've been wanting to use Audition *because* it supports multiple monitors where as Audacity has this strange bug where if I try to export to an MP3 the dialogue screen that pops up is off screen. I have to Windows key + P and switch to "Extend" to disable Eyefinity for temporarily so I can do so and then go back to "Duplicate" so that Windows spreads across all my screens (very useful for gaming, but works wonders when editing).

Your help is much appreciated :)

6. TheJackAttack

Search the help file on "ripple delete".

7. TheJackAttack

In traditional multi track editing one wouldn't as a rule cut the same chunk out of the entire session. That would be better done after the final mixdown is completed and working on the stereo track resultant.

8. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

Marry me please?

9. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

Yeah, but I'm not traditional. ;)

10. TheJackAttack

Not enough facts in evidence to proceed on that one, counselor. ^_^

11. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I have done similar things with Adobe Audition. You would place your cursor where you want to remove the chunk of stuff. You would then hold down the control key, while then moving your cursor down each track to highlight where you want to " split ". Once you have the tracks highlighted you would then go to your edit drop-down menu and select split. With whatever tracks are still highlighted (and you might have to highlight them again) you can then shove them all together down or do an additional split and voilĂ . Something to that effect. I'm still utilizing 1.5 which I still rather like. No actual real reason for me to utilize the newer versions because I am not utilizing soundcards that only support ASIO. I sold my 2.0 version to a client and looked at the trial for 3.0 which I really didn't need. I also don't do any MIDI.

Old-fashioned girl
    Mx. Remy Ann David

12. TheJackAttack

CS6 is being released on7 May. I'll let you know what I think but if it has more of the features of v3 with the speed and low overhead of CS5.5 then it will be a keeper.

13. mlerch

mlerch Active Member

Sad thing is though even though my copy is legit, it's not eligible for upgrade since apparently Adobe has this thing that if you buy something just before the release of their next iteration that you can't upgrade for the low low cost of $75 for it. :(

14. TheJackAttack

Recording software, audio production | Adobe Audition CS6

It didn't even ask me for my old code. On the right choose preorder and then your CS5.5 as the original product. I won't be able to download mine until 7 May but Adobe sold it to me for $75.