1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Advice buying gear

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Johntron512, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Johntron512

Johntron512 Guest

I have a $4500 budget (less would be better).

I own:
    AT4033 mic
    US122 Preamp
    M-Audio Nova Mic
    SM57 Mic
    Alesis 30-band eq
    behringer compressor/limiter
    CS DTT3500 computer speakers
    Audigy Platinum Sound card
    (I also own various guitars and equipment, but I'm only interested in my recording setup being upgraded/completed)

I want:
    A new preamp
    Studio Monitors
    High-Quality Headphones?
    and more...

What I want your opinion on is what gear should I purchase with this budget to record acoustic guitar, vocals for singer/songwriter type stuff and on the other hand, hip hop vocals/singing.

I am looking at Avalon or Portico for a pre and maybe some ebay NS10s...

Feel free to get specific (down to the mic cords if you like)
  2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Studio Monitors and the Amp to go with them

High-Quality Headphones and the Amp to go with them

A device to help monitor and switch your signals

A device to help VISUALLY monitor your signals

once that is sorted ... then look to the other stuff
    the NS10's are OK but I think you should have a second option as well
  3. Digger

Digger Guest

I would agree on the monitor front. I own a pair of Dynaudio BM6A's ($1400-1500 on Ebay) and I am very happy. Genelec 1031A's ($2000-$2200 on Ebay) are fairly standard in the studio world. Check around the forums and then go out and listen BEFORE buying.

As far as headphones are concerned I would stick within the realm of Sennheisers or AKG's - try to determine your needs - will you need isolation? If so make sure you buy a close design VS open or Semi open - When I first started I bought a couple of AKG KS240's which are great headphones but not ideal for the applications I needed. As a drummer I ended up buying Remote Audio HN7506's which I love but most people can't stand (very tight fitting). I don't believe you need to spend a lot of money on headphone systems especially if you are recording by yourself - you will have a tonne of options if you budget about $200

Mic Pres - depends on what you are recording and how much flexibility you might want. If you are recoriding to a DAW and recording a lot of direct Electronic instruments I would take a look at some nice tube amps to 'warm' things up a bit. A Universal 2-610 is great stereo mic pre. Avalon is nice as well. Cucco is a big fan of 2BA-221 by Summit and although I have never used one I like the concept enough that I would be apt to try one in your situation. The unit gives you a choice between Solid State and Tube settings and they are priced right ($400 - $500 on Ebay). You may also want to consider a Brick (Groove Tubes) as well, this is a really high value, tube based mic pre for under $400. In a perfect world starting out I would look for a stereo pair Tube amp (like the 2-610) and a stereo pair of clean pre amp channels (like a Grace 201) but that would outstrip your budget.

If you are recording vocals I would also consider a good tube based condensor vocal mic. In your price range I would consider; Charter Oak (newer company outstadning mics), Neumann M147 (you can find great deals of these on Ebay) and Rode Classic II (I love this mic - you can find them on Ebay for about $1100 to $1300). You may also want to consider a couple of extra dynamic mics as well, I would be most apt to start with an MD-421, which can be used on anything from Guitars, to bass to drums. Once you have decided on some mics make sure you audition them first.

Metering - use your ears and your DAW. I think they are unneccesary.

If they were my ears, which they are not, I would try / buy the following;

BM6A's - $1600
    Charter Oak SA538 - $1000
    Headphones (depending on your needs) - Open Design KS240, Closed Design Sennheiser HD280 (Budget $89/can)
    Mic Pre's (assuming they were as good as CUCCO says) Summit Audio 2BA-221 x 2 ($1100)
    Sennheiser MD421 ($279)
    That still give you a little dough for some extras, I would reccomend a UAD card which has some great plugs. Hope that helps, Cheers!