1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Advice - Digi 001 or not?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JBsound, May 12, 2003.

1. JBsound

JBsound Guest

I have a relatively new home/project studio. I currently own a Tascam 788 standalone recorder. It's been great and has really gotten me interested in recording. I'm now working with some outboard preamps, compressors, and have recently gotten a Tascam m-3500 24 channel board to go along with it. I've been recording onto the 788 (max of 4 inputs at a time) and then burning the wav files and editing and mixing on my computer. I've got an m-audio 24/96 card also. My computer is a athlon 2100+ that I built specifically for audio.

I've decided I want to move to DAW recording with at least 8 channels at once and the option to upgrade. I can get about 650 for my Tascam which would allow me to get the Digi 001 off ebay. I need to get the interface and the software for 650 or below. I've looked at the M-audio 1010 but it seems to have some stability problems. I am probably going to upgrade my computer from Windows 98se to XP in order to function better with Pro Tools. Stability is a big plus for me. I want to be able to have everything work how I need it after it's tweaked. I also realize that my typical client is in a way ignorant and will all of the sudden think it's great if I have Pro Tools. I know this because countless people have asked about it before.

With my budget and needs, would the Digi 001 be a good purchase in your opinion? I've heard all the MOTU talk and such, but it seems way out of my league. Also will I be able to trade .wav files between PT and Cool Edit Pro and N-tracks?

I would really appreciate some advice here. Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Hey JBurn, I've got a friend who purchsed the Digi001 a few weeks ago. He's toggling between his Echo Gina card & the Digi001 on multiple host platforms. Now I don't have any negative comments on the Digi-Design product, but I told him, "I think you'd be restricted to a lower sample rate if your thinking about recording at high res with that", also I told him it was a proprietary setup. We both have upgraded our DAWs to Cubase SX. I personally have a Echo Layla24 card in my setup. This card sounds very good in conjunction with the SX platform. The Cubase s/w somewhat looks like PT. I think this is a little competition for the Digi-design folks. But never the less, this should give you some idea to what you want. Peace :cool:

3. Divo

Divo Member

I have heard a lot of bad things about digidesigns gear lately and I personally think that you can do a lot better. Check out Motu or Aardvark gear, or maybe the Hammerfall stuff coupled with a nice little Yamaha digital desk. I think that would be a better option if you want a good starting point without going overboard. It would give you a bit of expandability as well.

But don't take anybody's word for it, go out and check out some options and see what you are comfortable with.