1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

advice? good, cheap mic...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by cdp, Feb 20, 2002.

1. cdp

cdp Active Member

Hi!

I'm away from home, and away from all my gear, and need to record some demoish vocals. I want to buy a mic, but don't want to spend more than I have to. Meaning, as inexpensive as possible.

But I haven't been buying inexpensive microphones for some time. There are tons of cheap mics on the market, but I'm sure most must suck.

So, the question: which large diaphragm condenser will work best as an all around vocal mic, but is in this price range (low).

Some time ago I heard some contenders. An at4033 (which was not bad, although a bit harsh), some cads (the models I heard just didn't do it for me, just sounded unnatural) and a c3000 (also sorta harsh, not too much body). So there are some opinions.

If you've read this far... well, maybe you wouldn't mind suggesting a low priced preamp? Like I said earlier, just trying to put together some ideas while traveling around.

Thanks for your time!!!

Charles Di Pinto

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I'm hearing good things about the Shure KSM-27 - and the price is certainly right. Then there's always the usual gang of suspects: Marshall and Studio Projects.

I agree with your assessments of the 4033 and C3000, (although if that was my only choice I'd take the 4033). Which makes some of these new mics worth checking out.

3. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Why does it need to be a condensor?

Bear

4. cdp

cdp Active Member

Thanks for your comments.

I'd hoped for a condenser because of the wide range of different vocalists, and styles of music, I'll be working with. I'd love to also get a ribbon or a good dynamic, but I feel they tend to be less versatile for this application. Do you disagree?

I'll certainly try out the Shure. Thanks for the advice!

Charles Di Pinto

5. ransom

ransom Guest

get a studio project's mic($230), and a shure SM57,58($100) and then stop and think only about music!

6. I do like the new Shure KSM27 and the Studio Projects C1, but keep in mind, it's not the mic that is the ultimate factor. It's how you (and the talent) use the mic.

EQ, compression, reverb/effects, recording environment, and vocal technique can all create magic, or create garbage.

We used to do "blind" tests of new mics against our studio stock mics all the time, and the newer, expensive mics didn't always win.

If you have the luxury of available tracks, it always makes sense to do a vocal session (especially with a new vocalist) with several mics and listen back to them "blind" to get a better idea of what will work best for that particular vocal.

It's what makes recording sessions so much fun, isn't it?

7. finalcut

finalcut Guest

Rode NTK. Not exactly cheap, but considering the quality that it has - it's a steal.

8. damster

damster Member

I owned the at4033 and was'nt happy.....sounded scooped in the mids somewhere.I exchanged it for a rode NT1.......still have it.Much more open sounding.......about the same price.

9. Mercuri

Mercuri Member

Rode NTK. You can get them for a little over $400 but they sound more like $2000

10. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

I find condensors of like price to the AKG you mention will each work only on certain sorts of singers. An SM-7, RE-20, or MD-421 isn't perfect on everyone, but those will do at least a good job on most. YMMV.

Bear