1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Advice on making it in the music business

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by hardshell, Apr 17, 2010.

1. hardshell

hardshell Guest

Check this website out for some great advice on making it in the music business

Make It In The Music Industry

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Can you say SPAM?

3. hardshell

hardshell Guest

Really Tom? Have you actually read the advice on the website or is it a knee jerk reaction because I posted a URL? Why not take a look and post some constructive comments instead?

4. Thomas W. Bethel

Nope I read it all. It is a link to other links.

Like so many things on the WWW it is one person's opinion of How to Make it... some of the person's ideas are OK but it is very naive to say the least.

I thought the computer analyzing songs was the most amusing thing and I have to wonder how many computers purchase songs?

Why did you feel you wanted to post it here?

I still think it is basically spam and if you dig deep enough one of the sites mentioned put up the website.

FWIW and YMMV

5. hardshell

hardshell Guest

I posted it because it has some good ideas on how artists can use free services available on the web to help advance their musical careers. Why wouldn't I want to share that with the recording.org community?

I think you're missing the point about the computer song analysis. The technology works, and as distasteful as it may be to many musicians (myself included) you ignore it at your peril. Major labels are using this technology to seperate the wheat from the chaff and unless your song scores pretty highly they won't even bother listening to it. Major labels want hits, and most artists want to be signed to a major label ergo you need prove you have hit song potential if you want to be signed to a major label.

6. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Deleting this as I'm not happy leaving somebody's personal info on the web but the point needed to be made. Site posted in OP is registered to hardshellproductions. This thread may well get b&.

7. hardshell

hardshell Guest

Thanks for taking the address off Jeemy, but believe me, I'm not trying to spam your forum!

I actually received an email from recording.org a few days ago which invited me to get involved and take advantage of recording.org's excellent SEO optimized site - perfect for raising my profile. So ... that is exactly what I've tried to do, create some USEFUL content which is relevant to musicians and post a link to it. I'm not chucking my URL in my forum signature on every post like some people.

If you think my link is not relevant, or falls into being spam then by all means, delete this thread. I won't recreate it. But if you think it's worth something then please, leave it where it is so others can have a read and leave their comments here. Thanks!

8. Thomas W. Bethel

If it works for you GREAT but it is super simplified and NOT something that is in any form REAL WORLD. Getting ahead in the music business involves three things.

A good performance done by a good performer who knows how to excite an audience. (Think American Idol winner)

Lots and lots of networking and hard work.

and the most important

LUCK! and being at the right place at the right time. If Elvis or the Beatles had just been starting out in today's music climate there is a VERY LARGE probability that neither would have made it to stardom. They were in the right place at the right time with the right performances that struck a nerve of the people who were listening to their music.

All the computer generated spec sheets are NOT going to convince the public that they have a genuine artist on their hands and that this person has something "special" going on that excites them.

If you find this site useful then use it and post it but I think you will find that it is mostly SPAM!

9. hardshell

hardshell Guest

Luck! Pah! Luck is when OPPORTUNITY and PREPARATION meet. It's not some mystical force. Preparation would be making sure you have solid music in your repetoire and opportunities are a dime a dozen if you can be bothered to look for them. Any tool which helps an artist prepare for the opportunity can only be a good thing. The truth is most artists who screw up an opportunity when it comes along do so because they weren't prepared for it, either in performance ability or musical material, so why not use an industry tested tool which can determine if your songs actually do have hit potential? Surely it would save a lot of time, money and guesswork. After all, don't all bands dream of having a hit record??

10. Thomas W. Bethel

You seem to be hung up on computer programs rating musician's music. Did you write the program??? Audiences select the musicians they want to hear - computers don't. As far as I know, computers don't listen to music or spend money to go to concerts or buy music. Maybe yours is different.

I will say that there are a lot of missed opportunities out there mostly from the musician not being able to capitalize on the opportunity presented to him or her. This is due mostly to poor preparation and the ability to move when the opportunity knocks.

I read a book in the late 70's early 80's called, I think, "Making it in the music business" and I read it cover to cover gleaning from it what I could and what I needed. This web page in question is about 1800 words long and attempts to squeeze the 200 pages from the book I read into that number of words.

I am really not sure why this web page exists but maybe one of the links leads to someone who is trying to sell something to the musician to enable them to break into the music business. Could that someone be you? Just wondering????

If this works for you then GREAT. If not then too bad.

I still think it is pure SPAM!

11. hardshell

hardshell Guest

Ok Tom, you've been around for a while obviously and have a lifetime of experience so what would YOU suggest for someone trying to make it in the music industry?

12. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

i just feel you should say you wrote this not that it is something you found and think is really good.

13. hardshell

hardshell Guest

I didn't say I'd 'found' it. What I said was

Although I can see how it may be implied that I found it.

Just for the record, it's my advice but I believe I have discovered some great, free resources to help musicians in the digital age. Just sharing the wealth chaps.

14. Thomas W. Bethel

Then why not just say that???

When you post something here pointing to somewhere else with lots of links to other WWW locations and you don't tell people that you wrote it red flags go up all over the place. It looks like you have something to hide or you are spamming.

I guess I would say be proud of what you have done and let others know that you have done something good for them instead of beating around the bush.

The site is a good start now you need to flush it out with lot of content that will be useful to a musician in the real world.

FWIW and YMMV

15. Thomas W. Bethel

1. Be honest with yourself. Just because your parents and/or your significant other thinks you are the "GREATEST musician of all times"" find out what other people who are not friends or family members really think of your music and your playing. Many young people today have been told their whole life that their "sh*t doesn't smell" and that "everything they do is the BEST". It is not true now and has never been true. Get someone who has "made it" in the profession to say you are good and you probably are well on the road to making it yourself. Too many musicians today cannot understand why everyone does not LOVE their music as much as they do. Well...not everyone is the same and not everyone thinks your music is the best. Find out what people like about your music and what they don't like and work on the stuff that people seem not to like.

2. Have a business plan and revise it constantly. (They don't call it the music business for nothing.) Learn as much as you can about the business side of music. There are a lot of things going on that the public never sees. Things that can have a large influence on your musical life are buried deep. Sometimes it is not what you see but what you don't see that makes the biggest difference.

3. Networking is the most powerful promotional vehicle on the planet so the more people you interact with the better your chances are for success.

4. Strive to PLEASE the audience with every performances and your songs and your name will stick in their minds.

5. Don't start acting like a star when you aren't one. The way you treat people around you is critical. If you get to be known as a problem child your musical stock will go down and not up.

6. Learn how to play your instrument really really well. Know more than five chords and don't "just get by". If you are a singer really learn how to sing and don't think that someone will be able to "pro-tool" you into sounding like a million dollars. The same for a drummer. If you have the time and the money take some music theory and performance courses at the local college or junior college. Learn to play your instrument well and you will always do better.

7. Learn how to self critique so you really are listening to what it is that you are doing and are not just lulled into thinking you are the greatest.

8. If you really want to be a professional go to a city where there are places for you to perform but is not over run with musicians. I have lots of friends that are struggling musicians. The one thing I see with a lot of them is they are waiting to be "discovered". That may have worked at some time in the past but if you are singing and playing your heart out in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa your chances of getting discovered by some record executive from New York or LA are probably 10,000 to 1.
    (I use to spend a lot of time in Nashville. I would walk down the street and I would hear a fantastic guitarist, then I would walk one more block I would hear someone twice as good and another block and someone four times as good but NONE of these people were playing in clubs or on records there were just too many GREAT musicians around and not enough places for them to perform or find work.)

9. Find your niche and work that niche. Don't try to be everything to everybody. You can't please all of the people all of the time so just concentrate on doing what you do best.

10. Have fun with your music. Have fun with its performance and success will follow. Don't get easily discouraged if things aren't going your way all the time. Maybe the bumps in the road were meant to be there. False starts are normal in any of the arts. Maybe you need to stop and start your career a couple of times before you find what you are good at and start to make money.

11. If you can find someone to mentor you. Someone who has some real world experience and knows the ropes of the music business.

12. Be yourself on stage and in person. People can spot a phony a mile away. This does not mean you cannot have a stage persona but it does mean that most people can see right through a phony and even if you are in costume (think KISS) you still have to have talent and ambition and be a person that people can relate to.

Hope this helps...This is NOT a complete listing but just some important points to consider. Use what you will.

16. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Hey, now this thread is worth keeping. Solid advice.

With all of the different genres including reggae, country, rock, death metal, screamo, rap, roots rock, instrumental, orchestral, r&b, etc, I wouldn't even begin to trust a computer to rate a song. Things that people look for in a country song is COMPLETELY different than what people look for in rap. Reggae is different than orchestral. Death metal is different than r&b. Hence, the reason why people like one genre but not another.

There are many artists that are HUGE in one genre, and anyone that listens to anything else hasn't even heard of them. Have you heard of Maoli? Absolutely GIANT in the islands, but most people have no idea who they are. Same goes with tons of other genres.