Advice on PA?

Discussion in 'Live Sound' started by thecrunge, Oct 14, 2006.

1. thecrunge

thecrunge Guest

I am looking into purchasing a PA and I am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me a few suggestions?

-I need it to be loud enough for the vocals to be heard clearly over the rest of my band when we practice (two guitars, bass, drums, hard rock-room is about 15x15)

-While I need sheer volume for practice, I also need quality and clarity because I will be using it for solo shows (acoustic guitar and vocals only) at smaller venues

-Need at least 4 channels

-Need some sort of monitor for the solo shows

-Price range is probably around $700, but maybe this isn't possible for what I'm looking for, or on the other hand, maybe I don't need to spend that much?

I have a Korg D32XD digital recorder which I am thinking about using as a mixer, and then just buying a power amp... but I am not sure I want to lug that big (and expensive) of a thing to shows, so maybe I would be better off not using it. Anyone ever tried something similar? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
  2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    Do not rely on the Korg as a mixer. $700 will not buy you a decent quality PA by anyones standards. I would suggest that you look at a powered mixer driving a couple of stage wedges for the rehearsal thing, but even that is a tall order. Peavey, Mackie, and Yamaha all offer fairly reliable, inexpensive powered mixers with an output of around 200 watts into a 4-ohm load. That is the absolute minimum to even attempt to compete with a drummer and a couple of guitars in a practice room. Try to stay away from the Behringers, the Samsons, the Madisons, and all the other super-cheap stuff out there. They don't perform well and are poor reliablity headaches, as well. As for the speakers, start with a floor monitor with a 12" + a HF horn. This will do fine for vocals and will do double-duty for the house system when it's just you and a guitar in a coffeehouse-type scenario. And don't scrimp on a decent mic. Use a Shure SM58 for your vocals, and you'll discover that you'll get a better level out of it without as much feedback in rehearsals where things are "tight"... Good Luck!