1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Advice on this gear

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Gpp, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

Hello everybody,

I'd need your opinion on these microphones, sound card and pre-amps I'll have at my disposal for a while:

AKG 414
    2x Rode NT5
    SPL Channel One Pre-Amp
    SPL Gain Station
    Fireface 400 (RME)

Can they assure a good standard of recording? I am going to record mostly a violin.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Giuseppe

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Should not be any problems whatsoever.

3. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

Thank you very much for your help.
    One more question.
    I also have some portable devices to record outside:

Recorder: Tascam HD-P2
    Microphones: Sennheiser K6 Series (cardioid, omni-diretional, long gun).

Do you think they can provide a professional quality? How can improve this equipment?
    Do you suggest the use of a pre-amp?
    Thank you again

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

With the Sennheiser microphones you could get adequate recordings using the HD-P2 internal pre-amps. I would use the K6 battery powering rather than taking phantom power from the Tascam unit.

Is this still your fiddle, or would the source material be something else?

5. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

I use the Tascam HD-P2 and Sennheiser k6 for field recording. Please tell me how and if I can get good results with this devices.
    Thank you!

6. Boswell

In equipment terms, just plug the mics in, switch on the battery power in the K6 mic bases and start recording. How you choose which type of microphones in the K6 series and how you position them relative to your sound source is up to you, and those aspects may well have the greatest influence on the quality of your recordings.

7. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

Thank you. One more question:
    I have bought a Shure A27M Stereo Stand Adapter for Pair of Microphones. Would you please suggest me a shock mount model for it that allows me to record in ORTF or XY mode? I have two Sennheiser k6 mics.
    Thank you!

8. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

Dear Recorders,

does anyone of you have experience with the Rode Boom Pole? I would like to buy it but somewhere I read that it's very noisy. May you tell me anything?
    Thanks in advance

9. Boswell

Well, you can go all the way from the WindTech SP-20 up to the Schoeps A22S. What is your budget? Google is your friend.

10. Gpp

Gpp Active Member

Are you sure I can mount the Schoeps A22S on the Shure A27M? I am looking for a good product, if possible around the 80 $ for both the shock mount.

11. Boswell

No, the A22S is itself a stereo stand mount. It goes for a little more than $80.

The much cheaper SP20 is said to be quite good for isolating things like floor vibrations, but I've never used one.