1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Age Old Audio Interface Question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Drumlea, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Drumlea

Drumlea Guest

Hi all, this is a question I'm sure has been asked before (a similar one by ME) but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway. I posted it in the pro audio section but I guess this forum is more correct.

I'm a drummer/guitarist/songwriter. I'm setting up a 'portable' studio as I can't record drums where I live.

I'm buying a Macbook Pro with Logic Studio 8 in the next few weeks. I own some fair mics and have access to many more.

I will predominantly be recording acoustic/electric instruments and of course full drum kit. So 6-8 preamps would be necessary.

I'm looking at three interfaces at the moment:

- MOTU 896HD
    - RME Fireface 800
    - Focusrite 10 i/o

I own a Roland MMP-2 preamp. Don't know if you've heard of it but it's nice and I picked it up at a great price.

I've heard conflicting reports about the 'sound' of the Motu products.
    The Fireface looks amazing but I would like more preamps.
    The Focusrite looks nearly perfect as it has 8 preamps and sp/dif. My roland MMP-2 has sp/dif (and aes/ebu). That means 10 preamps.

I've done as much research as I can and I'm looking for any push in the right direction. I've heard the focusrite preamps are good but unfortunately, living in Ireland means I can't get my hands on any of these interfaces to try them out.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the length of the post. I just want to get the right interface for the job.

Thanks,

Brian.

2. droc8705

droc8705 Active Member

i have not used any of those units, but i have heard great things about the RME fireface 800...enough to make me want to save up and buy it's little brother, the fireface 400. i know cucco has the 800 and loves it, so if it's good enough for him, i'm pretty sure it'll be good enough for me.

anyway, since i haven't used it i can't tell you what's good or bad. all i wanted to say was to not rule it out because it only has 4 pres...with your already existing 2 channes, you'll have 6 pres altogether, which is more than enough to record your drums. then save up and add more pres when money allows.

-dave

3. malamikigo

malamikigo Active Member

Add one more to your list:

Presonus Firepod. Actually, i think it's being called the Firestudio now.

Presonus Firestudio. 8 presonus pre's. It's good stuff.

4. Drumlea

Drumlea Guest

I would consider Presonus but the last product I bought (Blue Tube DP) gave me a lot of problems with hum. So I would tend to shy away from them.

The Fireface is looking good, and as you said Dave, I could always add on or get a loan of some preamps.

So it looks like it's between The Focusrite and The Fireface, hmmm. Has anyone actually used the Focusrite 10 i/o?

It's less than half the price of the Fireface but the money isn't my main worry. In fact if it's too cheap I get suspicious. Call me old fashioned.