1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Aggregate device question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by FlyBass, Sep 12, 2008.

1. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

Has anybody tried to use a FireWire audio interface and a USB audio interface together with Apple's aggregate device option? Would it be best to just pick up another FireWire interface for data flow/latency issues?

I have a PreSonus Firepod and would like to add 2 extra channels on occasion. (Yeah, I just can't get the S/PDIF thing to work.)

2. PAETECH

PAETECH Guest

Hi this is Jeremy from PreSonus, I might have an idea to get your spdif to work. I don't know if you've tried this, but go to the firepod control panel, change the clock to S/PDIF, and then try to use the digital connection. I hope this helps, if it doesn't or need other help feel free to contact me.

-jpleasant@presonus.com

3. EricUndead

EricUndead Guest

I to am having problems with the SPDIF on my FP10. I have tried the switching to SPDIF clock then plugging in the SPDIF cable to no avail about 50 times. I think it is an issue with the firmware I have or the fact I'm using XP64. My email is broke right now so I cant email you and I am also emailing with another Presonus tech from the tech support it is just taking like 5 days every email I send to get a reply. I really hope I can get this figured out as I love everything else about the FP10 and bought a digital preamp to get 2 more channels out of it. When I get the email working again I'll shoot you one as well.

4. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

Thanks to Jeremy at PreSonus I got my S/PDIF working, however I'd still like some information about the aggregate device question.

Is anybody even using Apple's aggregate option around here? It seems like such a great solution for adding inputs with unmatched/unlike audio interfaces.

5. EricUndead

EricUndead Guest

Can I ask what it took? As I am still no closer to having mine work. With the average response time of the Presonus tech being 5-7 days It has been slow going.

6. FlyBass

FlyBass Active Member

Jeremy had me run an FP10 firmware upgrade -- I own a Firepod that I bought new in 2006. (I know there is an FP10 firmware update on the PreSonus website, but I don't know if it is the same one that Jeremy sent.)

I downloaded the FP10 Control software from the PreSonus website, fired it up, switched from internal clocking to S/PDIF and it worked. (Actually, the story is slightly longer, see below.)

My troubleshooting list:
    1) Does your FP10 unit light flash from red to blue before you plug in the S/PDIF cable? If it doesn't, that is your first issue. (Like me, it could be a hardware/firmware issue.)
    2) If it does, then does the light turns solid blue after you connect? (Make sure the preamp is on and properly set up for S/PDIF output before you connect.) If it doesn't, then that is an issue. (Check your cable -- Is it a 75 ohm, coaxial S/PDIF cable? Is there a short?)
    3) If it does, was your DAW recording correctly before you switched from "internal" to "S/PDIF?" Check. (This was my issue after I updated the firmware. I couldn't seem to get it to work, then I tried to record with the interface clocked to "internal" and discovered my DAW (Logic) wasn't recording that way either. I restarted the computer and then everything worked fine. Duh.)
    4) Is your computer/DAW detecting that your FP10 is sending 10 channels? I use a Mac for recording, so I'm not sure how Wintels handle audio, but I can go into my System Preferences and check the sound control panel and see that the interface is sending and receiving 10 channels (and that's even before I set up the S/PDIF).

Good luck, I hope this helps.