1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG 414 uls broken? help...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by klauth, Jan 19, 2005.

1. klauth

klauth Guest

Out of the blue one of my 414`s has lost its recording level. I'm using a pair for drum OH`s I checked the pads, phantom power and everything seems to be adjusted as it should be. I even changed cables and tried different channels but, no difference. so i'm pretty sure it`s the mic. because I have to crank up the pre amp gain much higher on the problem mic to get the same recording level as the other. this has never happened before! did I blow the capsule?......anybody have any comments?
  2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Most likely a cold solder point.
    I've had to re-touch a few of them on the capacitors on the pc board.
    No big deal, open it up and use a magnifying glass to scope it out.

Just be careful about holding the iron on the solder point too long.

3. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2004
    I had a similar problem with an AT 4047. The level dropped way down, but I also had rustling noises underneath, and strange oscillations. The biggest problem was the drop in level.

It turned out that the problem was condensation. I had used it on a close-up vocal session and then put it in a plastic bag without a dessicant. I know it's a long shot in your case, but you might like to try putting it somewhere dry and warm for a short while. I put mine a few feet above a radiator, but it's' important to make sure the rising air isn't significantly above about 30C. You don't want your diaphragms to sag!

John Stafford