1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG c430 vs AT Pro-37

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SimnaWeb, Aug 21, 2005.

1. SimnaWeb

SimnaWeb Guest

Anyone have suggestions? I am debating either the AKG c430 and the AT Pro-37. I would be getting 2 of either and the difference in price would be about $40. Anyone with experience?

2. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Used the C430. Not a big fan. VERY tricky to use as stereo drum overheads and pick up the whole kit. Not bad to use just to spot mic a cymbal. Poor off-axis response. A fair bit of self-noise, too. Don't know what you are planning on doing with these, but I think you should get the SP C4's over the AKG C430's.

3. SimnaWeb

SimnaWeb Guest

These will most often be used to mic an orchestra type setting where we only need 2 mics up front for a reinforcement job. Occasionally as a stage reinforcement. (I know a boundary mic like the PCC160 is a better idea, but hey, you do what you can with what you got). And also untill I get my LDCs possible piano micing. Thanks a lot.

4. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Oooooo.....
    I think you ask too much of the C430. Probably wanna scratch it off your list. Might look into some ADK mics. I think they have some good cheap ones. Or possibly Kel mics.

5. SimnaWeb

SimnaWeb Guest

Well, I'm just starting out and the only places I really know about are musiciansfriend, pssl, sam ash, and ebay. Suggestions as to where I could look up the ADK or Kels?

Eric