1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG D112 vs Shure Beta 52

Discussion in 'Recording' started by vv-tim, Aug 6, 2005.

1. vv-tim

vv-tim Guest

Is there a large recording performance difference between the D112 and the Beta 52? I've heard lots of people recommending the D112.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer the beta 52 for a fuller warmer kick, and the d112 for a harder sound. Say, collective soul vs pantera?....Kind of. Why dont you rent both and put them to the test before you buy?

3. vv-tim

vv-tim Guest

I have a Beta 52 already (when I first decided the band was going to record itself, I didn't really know anything about recording, so I just bought Shure everything because they were the name I always heard). I didn't get the nicest kick sound out of it, although it's probably due to my lack of ability in mixing and eq.

http://www.purevolume.com/valvalis/ has the stuff we recorded. Any suggestions are welcome.

4. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I have both and this is my comparison....

D112 = Basketball hitting a gymnasium floor
    Beta52=More natural

5. sushifish

sushifish Guest

Good question, great answers! I will buy both now and know which to use in different applications. I've wondered this myself for a while now. Thanx guys! :cool:

6. anxious

anxious Guest

DOn't overlook the ATM25. I think it is a great-sounding and versatile mic.

7. sharmon

sharmon Guest

Haven't used the Beta 52, but the D112 sure does give you a nice tight*ss basketball ;)

8. buzz

buzz Guest

I have and use both I almost always end up with the Beta 52 , it is very versitile just change the distance from the front head and it will sound like a different mic ( proximity effect ) the D112 is just ??? basketball is good.

Well it works good on floor toms

Later
    Buzz