1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG Perception 220

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Feverdream, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Feverdream

Feverdream Guest

I've seen one of these on sale for £100.

I've never used one before, are they worth buying? For that price anyway?

Bear in mind that my budget doesn't really stretch much further than that, and I already have SM57/58s.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

It's a reasonable condenser mic, but that's not a particularly good price for it as a spec buy, especially if it does not include the shock mount.

What would you use it for? Although AKG pitch the 220 as a stage or studio mic, I would think its stage uses would be fairly limited to things like guitar cabinet miking.

I would save your pennies until you come across a real bargain, or you find the "must have" mic to fulfill a particular need.

3. Feverdream

Feverdream Guest

I'd be using it for studio vocals mainly.

I'm also looking at the Rode NT1-A. A little bit more expensive, but seems to be better from reviews.

I don't really like the look of the Perception 220s. They look kinda tacky to me.

4. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

cheap AKG sucks. get the rode

5. cluster

cluster Guest

I have the Perception 200 and it sounds fantastic on acoustic.

EDIT: Here's a clip. Sorry about the horrible autotune, I can't sing to save my life.
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/631208/Skinny Love.mp3

6. jammster

jammster Active Member

cluster, Nice acoustic sound.

A buddy of mine uses the perception 220. Its a good mic. Also, you should look into the Oktava MK-319, or 012 if you can. Oktava has a darker sound that contrasts the AKG.