1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG re releases AKG 451 (an Albini favorite)

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by anonymous, Oct 22, 2001.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

1/2 diaphragm, pencil design
    Available Jan 2002, at $451.00
    matched pairs are available, consequetive serials, matched freq response.

"a true reproduction of the original............."

:)

2. LyleCaldwell

LyleCaldwell Guest

How much for the whole diaphragm?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

a yuk a yuk a yuk!

:)

1/2" aint it or is it half a meter?

4. hollywood_steve

hollywood_steve Active Member

For those of us who were merely humble musicians (without our own studios) back when 451's were last available, can anyone describe the differences between the 451 and the Neumann KM180 series? The 180 series has been the most popular small D condensor over the last several years; have we been missing anything?

thanks

steve
    sjp@pacbell.net

5. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

AKG - big scoop in the low mids, brighter (maybe harsher?)

180 series...still bright, flatter low mids...I would probably reach for it first, but you never know. I would rather have an MBHO 603 over either one any day of the week. YOMV

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

"can anyone describe the differences between the 451 and the Neumann KM180 series?
    - (well done above)
    The 180 series has been the most popular small D condensor over the last several years; have we been missing anything?
    - the AKG 451 ???!!! :)

7. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

<For those of us who were merely humble musicians (without our own studios) back when 451's were last
    available, can anyone describe the differences between the 451 and the Neumann KM180 series? The 180
    series has been the most popular small D condensor over the last several years; have we been missing
    anything?>

Well, 451's are pretty bright (CK-1 capsule), and are more coloured, regarding proximity, than the 184's. The good thing about the old 451's IS the interchangeable capsules - I have the CK-9 shotgun capsule I throw onto the 451 amp body to do location sound when filming/video work. I hear there's a hard to find figure-8 capsule: anybody know a whereabouts of one, let me know!

Jay
    PlugHead Productions

8. Originally posted by Julian Standen:
    Do you guys know the Calrec? Now made by Hebden Sound? I would describe it as in the same family as the above 2 mic's.

I love my Calrec 1050's!
    A great addition to any mic locker IMHO.

/Mats

PS
    Jules, congrats to your new gig! ;)

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Thanks!
    Me and my Ex Watergate chums broke into the Advanced mic techniques and theory Forum and used our spy camera on the following documents.... Needless to say we are keeping a close tail on member 1113... he seems to "know people" but may make a run for it if he knows we are watching...

Secret File: For your ears only....

Jeff Roberts
    RO Member
    Member # 1113

posted October 22, 2001 02:59 PM                   
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AKG is going to make a new version of the 451. No teeny threads on the capsule. I think they will be non-removable capsules, cardioid only (BOO).

The electronics are descended from the AKG Blue Line, and there will be 2 low cuts, and a 2 position attenuator, unlike the screw-in capacitive pads that Stephen Paul says messed up the frequency response on original 451's.

This was supposed to be introduced at AES.

If I told you how I found out about this I'd have to....

And there it ends, one can only hope agent 1113 is still alive somewhere...

:eek: