1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AKG vs Rode

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Cerpintaxt, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Cerpintaxt

Cerpintaxt Guest

i can either get an AKG C2000B and a C100S or a Rode NT1A.
    any opinions / advice would be great.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I think you would be happier with the Rode. It is more true sounding than those others which have a rather hyped high end. I have used all but don't own any of those. I wouldn't refuse any if somebody wanted to give me one. But I don't need any.

Happy as a clam
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I don't own a C2000B, so I can't testify about those.

But I do own an NT1A and a few C1000s, these are my observations.

The NT1A, is a very smooth sounding mic. It's got a bump way up around 13kHz, but it drops off pretty sharply after that, so the net result is a fairly articulate mic, but not much 'air' above a certain point. With the exception of that 'airy quality', it compares reasonably well to the Neumann TLM-193.

The C1000s, and a lot of other AKGs, are famous (infamous) for a rise around 5kHz - intended to help vocals cut through a mix. And if that wasn't enough high-mid / treble for you, the C1000s also has a "presence booster" to give it even more of a boost in that range. (I never use the presence booster).

I use the C1000 more than the NT1 because A) it's a self-powered condenser I can use on a video shoot without dragging another piece of gear to provide phantom power, B) the interchangeable hyper-cardioid filter is useful for field recording, C) if the high-mid sounds over-hyped I can deal with it.

These two are both very useful mics, but they are night and day in terms of high-frequency character.

If I were doing more in-studio recording I think I might favor the NT1 for more applications.

So like most questions you'll find on this forum, all I can do is answer your question with a question - or give an answer with several qualifiers.

It depends on what you'll be using it for. I do video and field recording, so if I could just own one it would be the C1000s. Not knowing what you would be doing with it, I can only give you my impressions of both.

Good luck,

4. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Active Member

just my 2 cents here.....If you are considering the Nt1a...You may look into the Nt2a...it's my goto mic...It has the same diphram as the Ntk tube mic....a very nice mic....

ken