1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Alesis 3630 compressor, Good?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jbeutt, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jbeutt

jbeutt Active Member

Is this a good piece of equipment? Also, how flexable between recording and live? thanks.

2. Dave62

Dave62 Guest

The Alesis 3630 would be on the low end of "good". I find them quite noisy if pushed hard. Okay for live work if not over used, I wouldn't use it for recording.

3. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

Its alright for mild compression if you need a hardware compressor. I like some of the plugs I have in cubase better and they are not necessarily world class either. The gate is pretty useless. At least for me.

It does look cool as a rack space filler though. Route dummy signals to it to impress clients!! LOL!! J/k :lol:

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

If you're into DIY, there are several mods for this box to allegedly improve it.

5. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

Thats interesting. Any links?

6. David French

There was one in tape op a while ago invloving nothing more than cutting a couple connections, and there's one right here at RO.

Peter Purpose's 3630 mod

7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

The mod is actually quite good. I modded my old 3630 (it's mainly used for PA) and it is definitely better. I had used it in the past on backing tracks for some very mild compression. With the mod I have tested it on a few more prominent tracks with good results but I still wouldn't suggest pushing it too hard. The mod has allowed me to push it harder before artifacts become apparent and has reduced the noise quite a bit. I did the mod just as an experiment but you can do a whole lot better with an RNC for not a lot more money.

8. David French

Now that makes a lot of sense.

9. jbeutt

jbeutt Active Member

So would you reccomend that over a 266 or 166? Those are what i've been using based on budget.

10. huub

huub Guest

A friend of mine has tons of them(alesis) in his audio remote truck..
    He's done pretty big stuff (blur, metallica, what not) so I guess that's worth something..I used his truck once, and absolutely hated those things...really, really hated them to the point of hatred on a behringer level...
    But, hey, he makes some beautiful audio though...

11. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

The RNC ROCKS! (Only downside is you'll have to make a box to convert from balanced to unbalanced if you're feeding it a balanced signal, since the TRS inputs are set up to function as an inverted insert). Extremely versatile box, everything from completely transparent to heavy squash, and easy to dial in.

12. David French

I swear I remember hearing something about a balanced version...

13. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Thge RNP can be used a a balancing unit for the RNC.

Some of us DIY'ers have hardware projects to do the same thing.

14. stamalgoo

stamalgoo Active Member

I saw that 'Big_D' had done the Alesis mod.
    P L E A S E P L E A S E P L E A S E tell me where you got the 'chips' from as I can't find anywhere that sells them :cry: .
    Tnx
    stamalgoo

15. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

replacement chips for modding the 3630

i second that: where do you get these replacement chips?

16. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

gotta bump this for some good ol' moddin fun yall!
    come on...where can these critters be bought?

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I didn't see your question. I got them from a friend of mine who services electronics and DIY's his own gear. He already had the chips and suggested we mod my 3630 for kicks, so we did. I'll ask him where he got them and if they're available I'll post back.

18. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

thanks Big_D~!

19. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

wait, big_d, your in Philly? so am I. sweet man...hopefully that will make getting my chips a tad easier....

20. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

I too,own the Alesis 3630-------after a great and indepth explanation of of "threshold-attack-release etc....from guys here at RO,like Kurt-David French-and several others-----I was able maximize the 3630s abilities.
    In my opinion,it works well but dont push it too hard.
    Its a good comp for those who dont have lots of $$$$-the biggest thing is really understanding how compression works.