1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Alesis hd 24. Did I change my mind?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by vinniesrs, Jun 23, 2003.

1. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

I was just talking to another engineer about his hd 24. I mentioned that I had some concerns about compatability in the future, and archiving. I was completely ignorant of the features of this device. He told me that If I picked up one of these babies icould interface with protools. Also i can assign an ip adress and pull tracks from somewhere else on the network. 24 bit 48k stock, 24/96 with an upgrage chip. Hmmmmmm. $2300 in my town.
    This seems like the answer to almost all my problems. The rest can be remedied with some nice pre's and a shrink.
    :D

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

take a look at the tascam one too....ive been transfering files from tascam to protools for the past 2 years without a hitch....

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Your Alesis HD24 can become its own server for file transfers and such.I bought mine because of its similarites to tape in its transport controls(except rewind!!!)and the fact that it is destructive recording and in tracking or retracking, I'm not going to lose something in virtual land due to error or power failure.I've had mine about a year....works fine..I did consider, very strongly, the Tascam and it looks to still be a mighty good unit.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

It is hard to go wrong with a Tascam product. As Dave can attest to I still have a whole shelf full of Tascam gear in my garage which has outlived its usefulness.. I can't say that about any other gear I have had. Usually it wears out, breaks or I get so disgusted with it I give it away or sell it. But the Tascam gear lasts and lasts and lasts ... (there's that pink bunny! Wharez ma'shotguuunn?)
    However the Tascam is a difficult machine to master. It has a pretty steep learning curve. The Alesis is very simple to operate

Hey Dave, do you want to go to the Audix plant with me this week? Kurt

5. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Hane you guys experienced any drawbacks at all, would you rather have bought something else? OR, has it really been smooth sailing?

I won't be making a purchase for at least a couple of months, but if there are no complaints, it seems like the perfect buy to me.

6. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Hey kurt, while you're on the topic of tascam...do you have an opinion on their studio soundboards? I am going to a studio next week that has a 24ch automated 8bus.

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Which console would that be? The 3700?? That's just automated for midi mutes if I recall correctly. Tascam makes some very nice sounding mixers. You have to be a little careful about your gain structures (they run out of headroom sooner than a pro desk) but the "transfer function" (the sound) is very good. I have always coveted Tascam gear. Built like a rock, good engineering, quality control and sound. Kurt

8. anonymous

anonymous Guests

the 3700's ive seen have the two arrow LED's for null point location....im assuming they may have basic vca automation

9. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

yeah kurt, I think it's a 3700. I was curious to see what you thought of them. I recorded my first real album on one of those in a high school radio station after hours. It sounded really good when finished.

Just wonderin'.

10. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

3700 tascam is a good sounding board but has some gain staging tricks to it. A carefull hand in using the pads will result in a professional sweet sounding recording.Dont use the eq to shape anything when recording.Use mic placement/selection.

Yeah Kurt...call me or email and lets go glom some mics......d.

11. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Thanks for the tip davedog. I never use eq's while tracking, I think there is no reason for it if you know how to set stuff up.

12. MindMeld

MindMeld Guest

i've had smooth sailing with my HD24 ever since i got it. I have the stock 24/44 system, but i have an external clock whick improves the sound tremendously.

My only complaint is that ethernet transfers are really slow
    Marsh

13. Marshall,
    Are you using the external clock with more dig devices than the hd24 at the same time, or with the hd only? I'm running the hd with analog front end, then doing litepipe transfers to PC using adat sync. Is there a need for an external clock?

14. MindMeld

MindMeld Guest

i have the digital clock running to the hd24, and my reverb unit.... those are the only things i have right now that will accept bnc wordclock. I transfer the files via ethernet to the daw and mix from there...

you will notice an improvement just connecting the wordclock to the hd24... i guess the internal clock isn't very stable or something. All i know is when i use the lucid as my master clock, the sound quality improves. whether that is because of jitter or any other techie gobley gook is not for me to decide.

If you computer system also has a bnc input you can connect the lucid to that as well, and that will improve the sound of the d-a... but since you are only doing digital to digital transfers via lightpipe, it won't change the quality between them

jitter only affects conversions (a-d and d-a)

Marsh

15. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Now this is some goood info!
    Ok. What is lucid? WHo makes it and what does it cost. Do you think it's a need?
    I currently have 24 track recording, plus the comp, and I am getting one of these mainly to make an upgrade to protools cheaper, and to make backups and such less time consuming. 80% of it's use will be on recordings costing less than $5000, and things will be like this for a few years I imagine.

16. Rod Gervais

Rod Gervais Active Member

Steve,

Check it out buddy:

http://www.lucidaudio.com/products/

Happy Hunting

Rod

17. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

Thanks, Rod. It looks to me that they may not be available in canada, but I will call around and get info.

18. MindMeld

MindMeld Guest

check around, even used. You should beabble to get it for around 500 usd

also, before you go straight to pro tools, you may want to check out nuendo or sequoia/samplitude

both of them are great programs that do everything that pro tools does and are far cheeper unless you are in a totally commercial environment where your clientel has to have protools

Marsh

19. MindMeld

MindMeld Guest

By the by--- the lucid genex is not a must have; the alesis does has usable a/d's. But for the cost of the lucid, its like buying 24 channels of ad and da's for 500ish

and on another note, the difference you'll here is not nessesarily tonal... it has to do more with the depth of a track and the clarity of the ambiance behind it. Makes a big difference when mixing.

I was really upset when i swiched to the lucid cause i was expecting a massive tonal switch, but then i realized (a month or two later when i got to do a mix from it) that its all about the little things

Marsh

20. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I have not had the same luck with TASCAM. Their mechanical parts sucks and are quite expensive. I have a DA30mk2 and a DA40. Even cold soldering could be found at their boards, very amateur care.
    If I were you, I would stay away from these MDMs.