1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Alesis HD24XR, Fireface 800, track, mix, monitor

Discussion in 'Recording' started by phantomvintagegear, Feb 25, 2015.

1. phantomvintagegear

phantomvintagegear Active Member

Looking to get some help regarding my setup. I currently have an HD24XR, the digital outs are connected to the digital ins of the RME and so are the Ins. Total Mix controls the RME. I want to be able to record onto the hd24. When its full. transfer the tracks to reaper and mix.
    Issues I have.
    The RME Fireface 800 has only 16 digital ins and outs but the HD24 has 24 digital ins and outs.
    Right now I have 17 to 24 analog outs to the 8 analog ins of the RME to monitor.

How do I monitor the HD24. How do I lock the HD24 to Reaper, to a song, so that they both play and I can record on the HD 24. Its getting a little confusing with total mix, but it seems that's where the answers may be, however I have been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I need to change your title, before we can get past the questions and help you here. Attached is the rear panel. Lets take a look at that now and wait for some clever minds to chime in:
    hd24xr_back_lg.jpg

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

you should be able to lock the adat to the FW800 and Reaper via the midi connections. you can sync using midi time code.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What's Reaper in? How is it interfacing, through firewire via the FF800?

At first glance this seems like your are doing live work with the HD24XR and just need to move the audio over to your DAW which is fitted with Reaper?

5. phantomvintagegear

Thanks Chris, thanks Kurt.
    So dont do it through Word Clock is what your saying. Use midi?
    If so what is the sequence of connections?

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Am I assuming this correctly, that you simply need to transfer the audio into Reaper, then use the FF800 to mix and monitor after ?

7. phantomvintagegear

Actually no Chris, Im in the studio. Under most circumstances most would ask why not go straight through the fireface? Well I do sometimes, straight in. Im not a techy per say and I remember being the most productive and getting the most recording done with the HD24. Why? Because it behaves like a tape machine. Stop Play Record. Hit track 1 record. Next. etc etc. I just recently put the HD24XR back into my sytem. Also this HD24XR has been modified. Fans, Convertors and a bunch of other stuff. I was completely in shock when I did some exact recordings, and the HD24XR won over the Fireface. Im still shaking my head. But I cant ignore it. It must be the mods. So I want to record into the HD24XR and then transfer everything over when its mix time. There are some issues Im not familiar how to get around. Like time? Click track on the HD24, and properly monitoring during recording and playback.

8. phantomvintagegear

I also have 16 channels of Mackie control Universal pro, which I have found myself never using. However is it possible to control the HD24XR with the Mackie Control or is that something completely out of the question. I need an easy way to do that without getting back into a huge board and a ton of snakes which I sold a few years ago

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

If you are using this all together, you need the HD24XR to be the master clock then, because that is partly why it must sound better. The FF800 therefore must be the slave but still somehow allow you to sync Reaper to the HD24XR. So you are basically needing the FF800 to be the monitor/ bridge for you to connect Reaper and the HD24XR together. Am I correct?

10. phantomvintagegear

Chris Reaper is connected to the Fireface

11. phantomvintagegear

Yes thats correct, and Im glad you see this so easy. Its a different language for me.

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I follow exactly.;)

But i don't know a thing about the HD24XR .

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt, others here have the answers on the HD24XR but until they arrive, the short listing we've covered is helpful.

Without question, you need to keep the HD24XR as you main tracking device and forget about the FF800 until mix time. I do not like mixing clocks but thats just me.
    If you can just drop all the audio off the HD24XR into Reaper, this would be so simple. FF800 is excellent for everything after.

I'll back out here now, the rest of the group will have the answers. Good luck.

14. phantomvintagegear

So as far as syncing. Should Midi be used or Word Clock be used. The Fireface and the HD24 have both.
    But the HD24 only has word clock In. The fire face has Word clock in and out. And they both have Midi in and out

15. phantomvintagegear

Thanks so much Chris

16. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

ANY adat device carries sync through the fiber optic cable. there is no reason to hook up the word clock unless you are using it as a master clock.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I wouldn't go there. Midi clock is hit or miss. But Reaper is awesome for clocking so you have a good possibility this will work on sync but if it were me, i would be 100% focused on how to get the zero'd tracks into the DAW without midi.

18. phantomvintagegear

Chris the HD 24 has removable drives I connect to my computer and copy over all the tracks them just import into Reaper

19. phantomvintagegear

So Kurt what your saying is have the lightpipe connections connected and connect the midi as well?

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

The reason the HD24XR sounds better is partly due to the clock. I would be using it as the MC for certain. So he has an issue between Reaper and FF800 syncing to a device that isn't the MC for the sync. Its why he's having a problem here. Am I correct?