1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

All about the Preamp?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Kyuss50myt, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Kyuss50myt

Kyuss50myt Guest

Im runnin line in from an acoustic pickup, and from an electric Bass into a mixing board, to a soundblaster in my comp.

is it all about the Preamp, because my sound qaulity is not what im looking for, i gotta boost stuff in my editing prog and it muffles it even worse... i get hiss and just an over all bad sound.

2. Kyuss50myt

Kyuss50myt Guest

To Clarify

the question is,

Is it all about the preamp, will that clean up the recorded sound and make a significant difference in quality.clarity.

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

The weakest link applies. Depending on the bass and it's sound quality, how well it is played, and what damage the soundblaster is doing. A great preamp would not shine as it would with a signal path that sounds like a cloudy day.

4. Sebatron

Sebatron Well-Known Member

This is an impedance mismatch problem.

The line input of the mixing board is probably a lower impedance than the acoustic pickup and electric bass.

5. Screws

Screws Active Member

In other words, you need a D.I. or a preamp with a built in D.I.

A D.I., or Direct Box, converts your bass or guitar signal (high impedence) to a line level signal (low impedence). It has a 1/4" input and an XLR output to run to the mic preamps on your mixer. Then use the gain or trim control on your mic preamp input to boost the gain to a respectable level.

Your sound should improve quite a bit.

Here are some D.I. boxes, in a range of prices.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product_search2.asp?combined=direct+box&Manufacturer_Search=Manufacturer+Search

6. frob

frob Well-Known Member

what type of sound blaster are you using?

7. Kyuss50myt

Kyuss50myt Guest

sound card

all i can find is Creative SoundBlaster Live (WDM)
    seems like it would be Ok, thanks for all the help guys, any more info would be much appreciated.

8. Kyuss50myt

Kyuss50myt Guest

Mic'ing

would using shure mic's help this signal problem at all, instead of just line in?

then would a Preamp with D.I. make a huge difference in the quality of my recording?

9. David French

David French Well-Known Member

With mics and pickups, a preamp isn't just a good idea... it's the law. Any pre will be a very large improvement over your current setup.