1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Allen and Heath Console?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by MRussell, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MRussell

MRussell Guest

I'm a beginning engineer fed up with the new Mackie and Behringer sound, looking for something different. I found an Allen and Heath CMC32 (24 channel) mixer for sale in my area, in great condition for a good price. Does anyone have an opinion on this board? Any info is much appreciated!
  2. bgavin

bgavin Guest

Only from reading and doing research. That said, it appears the A&H are very high quality consoles.

I'm trying to talk my partner out of buying a new Mackie and get the A&H instead, for live performance mixing.
  3. Chance

Chance Guest

I've own an A & H system 8, and I now own an A & H sigma 24 bus inline and I love A & H
  4. rockstar

rockstar Guest

how does the AH compare to the souncraft spirit line?
  5. MRussell

MRussell Guest

I believe that the Soundcraft Spirit line is mostly known for it's use as a live board.
  6. shortyprs

shortyprs Guest

I have a Mix Wiz and love it. Much nicer sounding than my old cheaper Mackie. I got a great live recording of a jazz piano trio using the A&H.

I haven't used the Soundcraft Spirit, but it is also a nice line. What I understand is that the Spirit pres are based on the Ghost boards. Don't know if they're the same. Several folks steared me toward A&H over the Spirit line as a better board for recording. Spirit is a lower end product that Soundcraft absorbed, but the Spirit line is below the Soundcraft in quality.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with A&H.
  7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If I were you I would research this deeply.Somewhere in my library I have the A&H fishwrap on this line.If I remember correctly, these were a modular design and didnt have a long shelf life for the company.Also it was an early midi controlled unit.I think its the one I remember but dont quote me yet.A google search may yield results for you.I can say that these are NOT the GS or the GL line of mixers and these(GL/GS) are very very good at what they do.As for Soundcraft, I own a Ghost and would not trade it for anything in its price category and would be hard-pressed to trade it for a lot of boards in the mid-ranged console price level.It just does everything well.
  8. Clueless

Clueless Guest

As usual, I have to put in my $0.02 for the Midas Venice. If you like the simplicity of small-format mixers but hate (or don't love) their sound, this is THE board to check out.
  9. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2001
    :) That IS a cool looking board too! I saw some pictures a while back in a thread. Reminds me of the original A&H minimix when they went to colored knobs and a silver face.

10. I've recently bought an A+H GL2 used off a buddy. This particular board has had some mod work (Burr Brown op amps I believe) and I gotta say it smokes the the Mackie 1604 VLZ I've been using.