1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Already recorded vocals, want telephone sound to them

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by took-the-red-pill, May 20, 2012.

1. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

It's not convenient to re-record this particular set of vocals, and I want to give the it a try with them sounding like a phone. Just looking for a *starting point.*

I understand everything above 3000 and below 300 is apparently supposed to go, but what other attributes might one add to the signal. Also, what would be a good way to add a bit of distortion to augment the nasty, lo-fi, telephone sound?

Sorry if this is repeating. I did a search here but came up empty.
    Cheerios
    Keith

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I usually bandwidth limit something like you indicated, apply some distortion, then low pass it again to take the higher harmonics out. Sometimes I boost some midrange in there somewhere as well.

3. JohnTodd

JohnTodd Well-Known Member

Some phone systems have a lot of compression/limiting on them.

4. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

Try to bandwidth between 950Hz and 1850Hz and then apply a lo-fi bit resolution to 8bit! Add if you think it's really necessary a saturation effort to it! Hope this helps!

5. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Decreasing the word length (bit "rate") just raises the noise floor, and not in a way that sounds like a telephone.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

fun topic, I'll chime in too.

I used to have a few old telephones here. We used the speakers out of them for effects. You could send the track out to something with a 2 or 3" speaker, use a stereo amp to power it and track that AD> DAW. I bet it would sound great.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

You could also, track the vox bus via a headphone and call it a day. Hit solo, mic the headphone ...

To avoid a feedback loop , Mute the track you are recording. I do this all the time for hybrid tracking.

8. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

Cheerios mates. Lots of ways to make 'ugly.' I'll try some of these.

What would be the easiest, most effective way of adding some distortion in the digital realm that might sound like a telephone? Maybe one from a VST guitar/amp simulator?

Taa
    Keith

9. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

We all know that! However the noise floor resulting from a 8 bit samplerate you're talking about could be one of the many characteristics that this person could be after! We are really in the guessing world you know! diddlydoo

10. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

We had a thread similar to this a few years back. Try this link.

11. Laurend

Laurend Active Member

You can experiment, but there is a nice dedicate tool from audio Ease.
    Speakerphone 2