Amek 9098

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by John Stafford, Jan 8, 2005.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just reviving the preamp thread.
    I'm curious to know what people here think of the 9098.
    I know some people think it's boring. Given that one man's boring is another man's transparent, I'd like to know how it compares with the standard classical preamps.

Thanks,
    John

2. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Used it once- client bought one and insisted that I use it on his performance... I liked it, actually, quite a bit. I used it with my 426 if I remember correctly and the two worked quite well together. It definitely has some coloration to the sound, but I found it quite pleasing. The client on that gig also brought an Avalon preamp and I thought the Amek blew it away...

Just my opinion.

--Ben

3. swesterhus

swesterhus Guest

Tried it once with a Coles ribbon on trumpet. The sound was very very smooth. Very silky, and maybe too silky for my liking. I kept thinking it probably sounds ace on strings though!?

ps! The Coles was the best I've ever tried on trumpet though! Superb.

Stian

4. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

We love our 9098's. They are our number one choice in most cases. I agree, re the Coles. We tried the new 4040, and my old U87 is going on eBay to pay for it. Nuff said.

5. Plush

Plush Guest

We love the 9098 DMA! It has served well here for 8 or 9 years.
    The sound is smooth and detailed and never sounds clinical.
    Transformer out provides worry free interfacing.

sufficient gain to amplify any mic

A very good mic amp--totally dependable.

Too bad the 9098 outboard range has been discontinued

6. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

It's a pity they've been discontinued, but new ones appear to be plentiful. I suppose they'd make a good investment, as they'll probably be worth lots of money in the future :wink:

John