1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Amp Issues/Problems/Concerns

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Guitarfreak, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I dug an old 15 watt Marshall MG15 out of the basement for recording and realized why it was there in the first place. When I turn it on there is a high pitched tone that doesn't go away. It seems that all of the amp's regular gain settings occur between 0 and 1 on the knob and anything after that just gives horrible horrible feedback. I have no idea how or why this is happening but I've opened it up and don't SEE anything wrong with it. Then again I'm no electrician, just a musician.

2. NCdan

NCdan Guest

Bad tubes? Wait, that's a solid state amp. :wink: It could be anything. Of course, check the obvious like speakers, loose wires, etc... If not, then you'll probably need to take it to a tech. Blasted solid state amps.

3. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Does it have a spring reverb? Is that turned all the way off?

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Spring verbs add noise? Hmm....
    *mulls over the built-in effects on the board*

5. Guitarfreak

Yes, spring verb is completely off. Out of curiosity why do you ask?

6. moonbaby

Because the "tank"- that box at the bottom of the amp that contains the springs- can develop a short and cause that type of ocsillation noise.

7. Guitarfreak

Hmm, is there a way to fix?

8. moonbaby

You would start with replacing the tank...But I thought that you said that the reverb was turned off...

9. Guitarfreak

well the knob is always off, but if you say that it could cause problems just being there then I might as well pull it out, I never use it anyway. I figured out the high pitch thing was a bad input connection. The gain issue is still a problem though. Are you saying that could be caused by the reverb unit?

10. moonbaby

NO!!! All I'm saying is that if the oscillation occurs when the reverb is turned up, and ONLY when it's turned up, that it may be the tank. There are ways to disconnect it, but this is moot because you are apparently getting the noise when the 'verb is off...