1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Analog alignment

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rtreat, Mar 25, 2002.

1. rtreat

rtreat Guest

The recent Dolby tone question brought up something. How many here can and have fully aligned a 24 or 16 track machine before their sessions, Dolby 361, SR, DBX ? Yea I know it’s not that big a deal for old guys like me. :(
  2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    ...remember how you'd race to get done with a "set" (1 k, 10k,bias,etc) before the tone would end and yuo'd have to rewind. How bout the ol' +3/4 db @ 100 on an MTR90 to simulate the bottom of a studer...or +1/8 @ 10k to giev a little edge so that months later there would still be some top. Two machines w/ SR used to take forever until dolby came out with that auto-align rack. Ahh the good old days
  3. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Does 8 tracks count? I just never had the money for 16 or 24.
  4. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Guest

True, Recorderman, true…but what's with the past tense? You don't use analog anymore?

I work regularly with an A827 and a JH24…two very different beasts.

Maaaan, I love the analog tape sound. If a project didn't need editing, I'd go to tape and stay there.

Too bad that almost never happens.

Any one here ever try one of the massive formats like 2" 8-track? Or 1" stereo for mixdown?

5. rtreat

rtreat Guest

When you couldn't wait to try the new high output 2 " tapes; 456 Ampex and 250 Scotch. Anybody ever use 409, 226 ?