analog emulation plugin for mix and mastering ?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by pcrecord, May 6, 2013.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Ok, I know nothing can't beat the real thing. Thing is I don't have the money for a neve console or ssl outboard processing.
    So the question is, which plugin or plugin combination will bring me close to the real thing ?
    I usually record and mix modern music (pop, rock etc...) Now I got this nice Blues band who revisited a few old classics. I want them to sound actual, but then also have a tinny bit of that analog sound on their album. I'm using T-Racks CS for mastering but I'd like something I can put before it to smooth it and warm it up.

Should I put a Tape simulator on the main bus or rather on each channel ?
    Open to suggestion here ! ;)

2. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

Voxengo is worth a look. Awhile ago i got this plugin because i liked the way it warmed up some of my mixes.

3. pcrecord

Which Voxengo plugin Blaumph ?

4. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

Personally, I use Voxengo's Elephant. I did a lot of comparison's and felt Elephant was the way to go. It's so efficient as a maximizer/limiter and retains a little more clarity with it's "analog" features than the other plugs I compared it to. A fantastic final mix tool IMO, at a great price.

5. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

I actually used Voxformer not only on vocals but sparingly on bass and even drums to add some punch.

6. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Forgive me... but you're asking....

Why not just insert some analog hardware... like a tape deck, compressor, limiter, etc???

7. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

There's a UAD card with the Ampex tape emulation plugin.

8. pcrecord

Most tracks are recorded with a tube preamp and tube compressor combo (DBX silver 576) it's a fairly recent. What I'm looking for is a PLUGIN which will help me get a older sound. Kind a vintage.

9. LJ25

LJ25 Active Member

I get great results using PSP Vintage Warmer for that. Behaves like tape would so as you limit and compress your track instead of getting that harsh digital clipping you get some really interesting sounds. Some of which are terrible. Some are amazing. Definitely worth a go. Has built in eq, limiting parameters, compression parameters. Not that they are much use unless you don't know what your start point is but the pre-sets are very handy for throwing a quick mix about too.

10. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

The PSP Vintage Warmer has worked for me. I've also been using Oxford Inflator.

But I don't know about that "harsh digital clipping" from limiter plugins. Never heard such a thing.

11. pcrecord

I tried the PSP Vintage Warmer was not very impressed, most of its goods happens when you push it so that some compression is at work. But, I want to do a pre-mastering effect, so compressing the signal is not my goal. I'll try Oxford Inflator to see if I can tweak it to warm things up without compressing the signal too much.

Tx guys !
    Any other suggestions ?

12. bouldersound

The Inflator won't compress much but it can sound "tubby" if pushed. I use Effect settings up to about 20, usually around 6. It mostly fattens the lows and adds some "tube-like" harmonics. Sometimes I cut some lows with eq first to give the Inflator space to work.

13. pcrecord

Thanks for the tip, Bouldersound I trial it soon..

14. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

You could contact Chris (audiokid) and see what he would charge you to run it through his hybrid/Neos rig. He's also got some pretty awesome analog outboard gear as well.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

15. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

For console and tape emulations you should try the Slate Digital VCC and VTM.
    I've never worked with real consoles and tape, but according to many reviews this is the closest you can get to the real thing right now.
    They certainly do work for me.

16. bouldersound

I've also use Decapitator with some success.

17. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Tone Boosters Reelbus is great and very affordable, the guy who coded the Tone Boosters line gives great support too, definitely worth checking out.

18. pcrecord

Thanks guys, I'll make some tests!

19. A1phabeta

A1phabeta Active Member

I've heard that UAD does a whole suite of plug-ins that they claim are "the finest analog emulations on the planet". Only catch is that they need an PCIe card, and they're super expensive (but you get what you pay for).

20. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i think the only thing you need to do to make it sound more analog is to mix it analog. duh pretty simple. that "not analog" thing you are hearing is itb summing. you can put whatever flavor of the soon to be obsolete / unusable over priced software rip off "plug in" you want but it's still gonna be itb ... narrow, flat and non dimensional. that big round sound comes from mixing with a summing solution or better yet a console (even a cheapo Mackie). i learned a long time ago when working with blackface ADATs there's nothing wrong with digital recording ... it's digital mixing that's the culprit.