1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

analogue recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bsafni, Feb 19, 2001.

1. bsafni

bsafni Guest

I am doing a paper on why analog sounds better than digital for certain types of music such as rock, hip-hop,funk and blues. What are some major factors that make analog sound better than digital? Why would a band want to go through the extra trouble to record to analog and then master the recording digitally? Why does digital make music sound grainy? Why does analog compress the higher frequecnies and is this generally a good thing? Any other comments promoting the use of analog or knocking digital are welcome and very much appreciated.

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

And I was so hoping to never see this thread crop up here.

da Bear

3. bsafni

bsafni Guest

What's wrong with this thread?

4. hargerst

hargerst Active Member

It tends to generate a lot of controversy with no resolution.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

well said. ;)

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Originally posted by bob strawser:
    What's wrong with this thread?

bob, welcome aboard!

I transferred your post that was originally in the engineers producers, hardware forum into this newly created forum that's better suited for these questions. You are welcome here at RO. fire away! :)

7. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

D'oh. Sorry, Bob, my followup response seems to have been lost when the thread was moved. I'll try again.

Basically like Harvey said, the threads end up being more heat than light, a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing. Breaks down to personal experience, work habits, and equipment investments, along with a few influential editorial opinions, dictating answers that aren't universally applicable. I think there can be a certain pleasing aesthetic quality to really bad 8 or 12 bit digital if used in the right situation, so even objective measures of quality, if they exist, don't always dictate what will and will not work. And whether it works for the particular instance is the final determining factor in that instance. All bets are off for every next instance, though.

da Bear