1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Andrew WK / Ministry vocal sound

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by e-cue, Aug 17, 2002.

1. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

OKay, anyone that disses me for liking the Andrew WK "I Get Wet" record can lick my prostrate. That being said, what kind of vocal effect is used to achieve this sound? Specifically. I get close results with a harmonizer (Micro Pitch Shift on the H3000) and 6 voice choirs (480L with an effect car. Anyone? Mike Shipley mixed his ass off on this record.

2. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

hmmm, no takers?

3. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

I wish I knew the track you spoke of. Mike Shipley is the $*^t though...I agree
    :p

4. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

Any track on the Andrew WK record, say... "Party Hard" or "The Girl is Beautiful"... Very similar to Al's vocals on "Theives" (on a Mind is a Terrible thing to taste).

5. strawb

strawb Guest

hi - i hope this answers your question.
    i recorded all of the vocals on the andrew w k album in a dank basement in minnesota with the following signal chain.

audio technica 4060 tube microphone
    daking mic pre/eq (eq off)
    empirical labs distressor
    digidesign 888

aside from multing & the occasional eq/compressor plugin, there are no tricks to the sound of andrew's vocals.

the secret is buried in awk's belvedere throat.

maybe you are thinking of the vocoder on party hard?

as far as shipley goes, the mixing took place at record one in sherman oaks. the only thing special vocal processer i remember wasthe fatso jr.

glad you enjoyed the album!!

john fields

6. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

strawb,
    Thanks for the reply, and congrats on a job well done. I'm suprised by your answer. It really sounds like something was used to achieve the vocal sound. The intro delayed vocal to "Fun Night" sounds very similar to Ministry's "Just One Fix".

7. strawb

strawb Guest

ok.. now that you mention it... awk used cakewalk on a PC for that fun night intro vox... absolutely no outboard gear. he is a wiz at that cakewalk thing.. if you have ever used it, you might notice that you can overdub/bounce FX sounds onto the same track - making multi multi multi layered sounds on 1 track. the shitty pitch shifter plugins on cakewalk are part of that sound too.

funny... i have never been asked about that record.

jrfields

8. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

The record DEFINATELY deserves an award for something... It has given me a plethral of new ideas, and made me a better engineer.

9. strawb

strawb Guest

im glad you liked it - lets hope it sells billions... just out of curiosity e-cue... what are some of the more eclectic records you've worked on?

jrf

10. Astroboy

Astroboy Guest

JRF,

Dicky M. here.

--Big points for the use of Belvedere in an audio forum.

Boiled your ice lately?

RM

11. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

ummmmhhhh.... The Will.I.Am (from the Black Eyed Peas) Lost Change, Tweet - Southern Hummingbird, Jaketta's new record (Uk based, don't know the title yet), Vomit Destructo- Self Titled, Constipated Pope - All You Can Eat Tacos, The Llama Missionaries - Toy Biazzare. Doubt you've heard of most of them.