Another question mixer related

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by iceman, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. iceman

    iceman Active Member

    As I have stated, I am a noob just trying to learn in a controlled area..

    Are there mixers that allow you to have a different output for multiple inputs.
    Or is there a way to get this to work?

    I would really like to be able to control the levels for multiple outputs from one location so it is easier to adjust.

    Thanks for any info on this.
  2. bouldersound

    bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

    Given the lack of detail in your question (outputs for what purpose?) the answer is "probably". Tell us what you hope to do with the multiple outputs and we can answer in more detail. Most mixers have main outputs, pre-fader auxiliary sends and post-fader auxiliary sends. Many have 2-track outputs, submix group outputs, matrix outputs, control room outputs, tape outputs, direct outputs etc.

    If you just want to split one signal then an active splitter would do the trick. Rane, Rolls, Behringer and many others make them at various price points.
  3. iceman

    iceman Active Member

    My goal is to control the levels of these multiple out puts in example: a couple of guitars, the bass, and vocals.. just for our practice sessions so it is easy to control the levels of every one from one spot.
    I hope that helps explain my purpose a little better.
  4. bouldersound

    bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

    From the mixer's perspective guitars, bass and vocals are inputs, not outputs. I think you're not using common audio terms in a way that people familiar with such things will understand. It's going to be hard to communicate until you learn the right words to describe what you want to do.
  5. hueseph

    hueseph Well-Known Member

    I think this is in the wrong forum. At any rate, this is essentially what a mixer does. It mixes the levels of several sources to a single stereo channel out. That is what you are describing anyway.

    Multiple outputs can be of many sorts. Auxiliary buses, Channel inserts or Direct outputs.

    Usually Auxiliary buses are used for effects sends and/or headphone mixes.

    Channel inserts are used to "insert" effects that are designed to affect the entire signal. Usually this means dynamic processing like compressors, limiters, gates. Sometimes, you may even want to insert an EQ if the channel EQ is not detailed or "surgical" enough.

    Direct outs are exactly that. Direct outputs that you would send to a DAW interface or ATR.
  6. iceman

    iceman Active Member

    What I mean when I say output for vocals guitar and bass, is each one having its own output, I do know that they are inputs, if you read the original post you would see that I was just describing into more detail.
    And really I don't see how its that hard to communicate with just that being misunderstood because the next post was actually exactly the answer I was looking for. So thank you
  7. hueseph

    hueseph Well-Known Member

    I still think you are confused. Do you want physical outputs? In that case they are available but a mixer with direct outs for each channel will not be cheap......unless you get a cheap board in which case, they will be cheap(in quality).

    You want different outputs to what? Do you want to output to a recording interface which has multiple inputs?

    I think you need to get straight in your head that a mixer's intended purpose is to mix. That means (usually) to two channels. Sometimes more but usually just two. If you want to record to several different tracks in a DAW, you need a multichannel interface. Don't even worry about a mixer unless you are willing to pay the money to get a Firewire based mixer that will send separate channels to separate tracks. That is going to cost some money. You might be able to find something cheap but don't expect it to work well and don't expect it to last long.

    Here's a few to consider:

    Allen & Heath ZED-R16 16-Channel FireWire Mixer | Musician's Friend

    Yamaha n8 Firewire Digital Mixing Studio | Musician's Friend

    Mackie Onyx 1220i Firewire Mixer | Musician's Friend

    Also remember that even a Firewire mixer may not necessarily be a control surface. Which basically means, once the audio is in your DAW, the faders on your mixer will be useless. A control surface is something else all together. There are exceptions of course. The Zed R16 and Mackie Onyx 1640i allow you to fold back the audio and mix down to two tracks "live". Those consoles are both $1500 or more.
  8. Kapt.Krunch

    Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

    Iceman, Nobody is trying to hammer on you, but you are presenting conflicting information that makes it difficult to answer your question.
    First thing first. "Multiple outputs/multiple inputs". The "output levels" of things like guitar and bass are controlled by the player, by controlling the amp. If the amp is mic'ed, or if you go direct, then (other than their guitar volume control) the INPUT is controlled by the mixer channel input gain and channel volume. Which will then mix it to one or more "outputs". The "output" of a vocal mic is "input" to a mixer channel, which is then mixed and "output" through one or more mixer "outputs".

    We have to help you get the "gozinta"s and "gozoutta"s straight. Guitar/bass/vocal gozoutta instrument/mic>>>>and gozinta mixer channel>>>> thru>>>>mixing buses and gozoutta those>>>> to mixer output>>>> (or to direct outputs, etc to use in another mixer/recording device, etc. If a signal originates at something (guitar/bass/mic) it does has an "output". That output is "input" to something else. That input has some purpose, and is output to something else. This happens until the signal finally arrives at its final destination, mixed or solo, such as a recording or played back on speakers. Now then. Let's take this a statement at a time.
    That would suggest you want to "split" each signal. Maybe, one mix for front-of-house, and one for monitoring, or for recording...where you can have a completely independent mix from each other.
    This is confusing. You mentioned it was for practice? Do you have everything mic'ed and blaring through a PA in practice? That's OK, I guess, if you are using low-power guitar amps and such. Anyway, if all you want to do is mix the instruments/mics for practice monitoring, any mixer (with enough channels) will do. You'll control all INPUTS from all instruments/mics from a mixer you place in arm's reach. Problem solved. (Once the output of an instrument/mic hits the input of a mixer, you are now controlling the "INPUTS" with the mixer, to mix to send to the mixer outputs.)
    This is also confusing. Each one DOES have its own output. It's the 1/4" output jack. Which goes into, either, a guitar/bass amp (maybe even through some pedals, whatever), or, directly to the INPUTS of a mixer. Maybe they are mic'ed up? In that case, then the "output" of the guitars are ending up input to an amp. Then the amp's speaker is outputting sound waves into a mic. Which is then connected to the "input" of a mixer channel.

    So, nobody knows exactly what you are after. IF all you are doing is mixing a band practice for monitoring, all you need is one mixer, and mixing all the inputs to a stereo or mono output. That's easy. Any mixer, or mixer/amp (with enough channels) will do. If you want to split the INPUT signals so you can, say, monitor as usual, but mix for a stereo or multi-track recording, then a mixer with direct outs (for multi-track) or a subgroup (for stereo) will do. Of course, to mix multi-track, you'll need a multi-track recording interface. Anyway, once it's in the mixer, and you are controlling the level with a fader or input gain to mix, you are controlling the INPUTS, not the output. The main output of the mixer is controlled with the master volume, etc., and other outputs (Auxilliary, Direct, etc.) may have different variations and levels of output control.

    What, exactly, are you trying to do? Do you ONLY need to control a mono or stereo monitor mix for practice, or you trying to do something else? It's not clear, and that's why all the questions and suggestions to try to clarify and use the proper signal routing terminology, as far as "input" and "output". If you read back what copied of yours, you may see why it's confusing to everyone else.

    Just trying to help.

    Good luck,


Share This Page