1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Another Sytek question.........

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by therecordingart, Jan 25, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Ok guys....I've searched Sytek in this site, read all of the posts, and I still have some questions.

To start, I can't afford a 4 channel Sebatron nor do I see it happening any time soon. I need 4 nice channels and it just so happens my tax return will pay for a 4 channel Sytek.

What I want is some honest opinions......

How many steps up are they above those in my Tascam FW-1884? I imagine that it is one hell of a step up!

Also, the pres in my board have zero warmth obviously....does the Sytek has a richness or warmth to them that I should notice?

The pre's in my board lack detail and tend to sound like they "smudge" and muddy up my tracks. Should I be able to get a more airy sound for the Sytek with better definition?

I know these seem like dumb questions with a lot of outside factors. This seems to be the only solution in my price range for 4 channels. $850 to me is a huge deal since I only make $300 a week and pay rent, car, insurance, credit cards....etc.

I want to start improving the front end of my gear and make additions that won't be replaced, but instead added on to. I know over the next few years I'm going to be adding pres to my collection, and I just need to know if these are good enough to still get some use later down the road.

Thanks in advance!

2. heyman

heyman Guest

Arthur, your best bet is to contact the guys at Sytek and see about their return policy. Mr Stroica is very pleaseant to talk to on the phone and I am sure if you do not like it you can return it.

I happen to like mine alot. The regular channels are clean and clear without being brittle. You can even get the burr brown mods on 2 channels which are darker sounding if you like.

Definetly a step above your built in pre's

3. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I use mine all the time. Definitely get the burr brown in ch 3 &4, a little darker for vocals- the sytek is definitely a clean sounding pre and a step above IMO of the mackies out here-
    Even if you later get a seb or a great river you will be able to use the sytek for all the xtras like drums, OH's

4. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

I'm selling a mint condition Sytek with BurrBrowns on 3 & 4.
    $750 including 2 day air shipping.

There is not one scratch on it and it was only lightly used.

theblueroom2k3@hotmail.com

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

The Sytek is a great sounding unit... the one that was just mentioned for $750- sounds like a steal to me... if I may be so bold, I'd suggest you snap it up!!

6. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I have MPX-4a and a VMP 2000e, and they make a nice contrast for eachother. The Sytek is quite clear and won't add any mud like you're getting from the Tascam pres.

7. therecordingart

I'm sold.....I'm going to call Sytek and see how soon I can get one. Eventually I'm going to get a Seb also and maybe build some of the Seventh Circle stuff.

8. maintiger

Mike Stoice, the manufacurer/designer, sells them on ebay- that's where I got mine-
    he's got one on right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=3778388259&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

9. maintiger

sorry, duplicate- :shock:

10. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

I can get you mine in 2 days.

11. therecordingart

Ok...my next question....I record a lot of heavier bands. I hear this pre is really clean....would it be too clean for rock/metal drums? I can't afford 4 API channels so that idea was scrapped a long time ago. Basically, I want a full sound up front and I'll dirty things up ITB if I need to. What do you think? This pre is going to mic a kick, top snare, and OH's. Then it would be used on everything else once the drums are tracked.

Any thoughts on this?

12. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

That would probably give you great results in that situation. Kick and snare on 3/4 with BBs and OHs on 1/2.

13. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna knock Mike or the Sytek, I received great service and I like the 4 channel with BurrBrown as well, but the only concern I have with the unit would be headroom. I like it on piano, acoustic guitars, aux percussion and classical recording stuff.
    The real benefit of this unit is the ability to have multiple takes that don't get muddy or produce ugly artifacts. I'm not sure if the heavy metal drum application would be the best for this unit, but its built well and sounds great so take the above advise to try it out.

14. therecordingart

I think I'll give it a shot....absolute worst case scenario it will sound a lot nicer than my on board pres which have zero headroom! Over the long haul if it doesn't sound great on drums I'll keep it for acoustic guitar and such.

15. maintiger

I've used it for drums- sounds just fine-

16. therecordingart

Thanks guys!

17. therecordingart

One last question.....is this Sytek unit just a another mid-level product or does it deliver pro results that can sit next to the API and Neves of the world?

18. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

the API and NEVEs are way more colored. this is a clean unit that you can spread across many tracks and still have focus. I'd put this in the "great bang-for-the-buck" class, API and NEVE are in the "character" class. you won't be disappointed with it but it won't give you your character tracks either.

19. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

It's just a another mid-level product IMO. Comparing a Sytek to a Neve or an API is an unfair comparison ... apples and spinach!

"Clean" 'pristine" and "transparent" are easy to achive with very inexpesnsive op amp designs ... the Mackie pre proves that in that it specs out very well ....

The Sytek, for what it costs is fine ... a much better value, bang for the buck than say the RNP ... and its cost is more in line with what it's really worth unlike the RNP which I think is very overpriced. But even in the Neotek console configuration, this design is a budget first consideration, designed to a price point... the least expensive of the large format boards ... and as such you get what you pay for.

20. therecordingart

Thanks, Kurt. What I think I'm going to do is pick up this unit for two reasons:

1. It's quite a step above what I've got now. (FW-1884 and a Behringer ADA800)

2. It can always be used as an overflow pre when I run out of "great" channels (once I get my API or Sebs of course).

My main concern is buying something that I won't replace. At this point it isn't cost effective for me to spend the money I don't have on a pre that won't pay for itself. I'm having a hard time getting on my feet in the audio world and bringing in enough money to pay for my gear. I want to maximize my gear so as I improve my skills I don't have to worry about having gear holding back the sonic integrity. At the same time I can't by 4 API and 4 Seb channels and only charge $15-$25 hr. On the same side of the token....no matter what gear I have in my home setup I don't think any bands would pay $50hr to record in a two bedroom studio unless they were gear heads and realized that an API with a D112 on a kick is what they are most likely hearing on their favorite albums.

I think the Sytek is going to fill the void in my lack of decent pres and be cost effective at the same time.