1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Antares Mic Modeler

Discussion in 'Recording' started by kaushpaul, Aug 4, 2003.

1. kaushpaul

kaushpaul Guest

Does anyone know if this software really works?...I have an SM58...if I get this software, will I be able to replicate the mic quality of a mid-range condenser mic?...or am i better off just buying a condenser mic?...obviously, am operating on a tight budget since I'm just starting out (as you can tell from my incumbent microphone).

2. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Guest

It will not make your SM58 sound like a Neumann U87, that's for sure. If you have a pretty good condenser mic the processor will make it sound different, somewhat more like the modeled mics but it will not be the same as using the actual microphone.

I would invest the money in a good quality condenser mic (e.g. Rode or AT) rather than the mic emulator.

MisterBlue.

3. Freeform

Freeform Guest

I don't use it for a magical ability to make a crap mic sound like gold. I do however think the different settings have cool EQ curves that can really change the sound of a vocal drastically for the better.

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I have the hardware version and find it is useful to obtain a different and often a better sound than what I had before or if I just used my mixers eq. It will not take a crap mic and turn it into a great one.

5. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Active Member

The simple answer is no, you can't spend $300 and have it sound like a $3000 mic.

If it sounds too good to be true......it usually isn't true.

That said, the program is a neat tool and can be used to improve the sound of a cheaper mic.

Best-

Kev.

6. vinniesrs

vinniesrs Active Member

For $300 you can buy a decent condenser which will sound miles ahead of your 58. Your mic modeler cannot change the sensitivity of the mic, only the sound characteristic. Virtually any condenser mic will show up a 58 when it comes to detail. A condenser will give a presence to a sound that you cannot achieve with a dynamic.
    Dynamic mics will stand up to louder noises better. Cheaper condensers will crap out a lower spl (sound pressure level) than a more expensive one.

Make it simple. For get about the modeler. It is a tech equivalent to an asian elvis impersinator. It acts like elvis, it kinda sounds like elvis, but in the end you're not fooling anyone.

Spend your money on mics. Buy good mics. Buy them once. Make good music.

:c:

7. kinetic

kinetic Guest

Yes but watch out for Antares authorisation scheme. It is one of the worst I've come across and their Support is of no assistance. Didn't even reply to my enquiry re their other products and licencing issues. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.