Any comments on production

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by westshore, Nov 19, 2005.

1. westshore

westshore Guest

This is my first production, and it's for my band. Im a younger guy with very modern music. So if anyone has any comments on how to make it better it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

http://www.myspace.com/westshore
    -the first song

2. i think it sounds pretty good, you have the right main ingredient. A GOOD BAND!!!!! i might have done something more effectd with the backups and left the pre chorus and chorus un effected. soundds great though what did you record though?

3. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

First of all, I like the song. It sounds energetic and fresh. Good work there.

Second, I am listening through PC speakers. Though not the worst brand, it´s not reference by any means. A lot of people listen through this stuff though, so it would be representative none the less.

1st time:

The lead vocal and drums miss clarity. Rhythm guitars too loud.

2nd time

In the chorus I'd make the leadvocal a little warmer/thicker at the expense of the rhythm guitars. Even the drums suffer from the high level of these relentless rhythm guitars.

3rd time

What did I just say? Hmm, I´m not so sure it "needs" anything.

Again, this is through PC speakers.

4. westshore

westshore Guest

Thank you for the band comment. Yeah, I will have to try out doing some things to the back ups. Good idea. I recorded Cubase SX2 though a bunch of low budget equipment. Mackie Onyx board pre's and some decent mic's. Most of the tone changing was done in studio, UAD plug ins and such. Hopefully I will be able to get some good pre's and mics soon. I will try to clean up the mix a little bit in the guitar section, it is too hot. They sound a little too saturated. Yes the chorus could use a little warmer tone, I will get on that. Good call. Thanks a lot for the comments!