1. Hey, good to see you lurking here! If you are into recording, love using microphones (Tracking, Mixing or Mastering Music) , you want less hype and nonsense... perhaps you've found your new home. Discover more... Welcome to RECORDING ORG (est 1998) - created for musicians by musicians. Register NOW !

Any experiences / opinions about Neve Genesys?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Gear' started by iani, Dec 18, 2008.

1. iani

iani Member

Hello,

Neve's analog console with digital control, GENESYS has been around for a year. I have read the reviews, which seem quite positive, but would like to hear about first-hand impressions from people that have actually used it.

The specific purpose for which I am looking at this console is to act as the heart of a recording studio geared towards recording of small ensembles (up to 10 solo instruments, up to 20 sources if a vocal choir is included), and then producing quality mixes for CD/DVD production. Genres: Traditional music, especially near and middle east, but also some experimental music (avant-garde, electronic). Questions:

How difficult is it to learn to use this console for persons that have not worked with Neves before? Is it less complicated than for example SSL AWS 900+ SE consoles or other systems?

If we also get ProTools 3 plus some high-end multichannel ADDA converters and other digital and analog sound treatment gear (preamps, compressors, equalizers, reverb etc), would Genesys as the heart of the studio, or should we just get a ProControl from Digidesign?

Iannis Zannos

2. StephenMC

StephenMC Member

I haven't tried it, but the ProControl is digital, I assume? There's a plus (in my opinion) for the Neve already since you seem to be okay with analog.

3. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Member

musician, composer and wanna be engineer. my workj
    Home Page:
    if you have the means-there is no question

Neve.

p.s.- do you have a wife? i could be your wife if you get that console. i will cook, clean and do all the grocery shopping for you if you let me play with it one day a week.