1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Any idea on the instruments to produce this sound?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JayTerrance, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JayTerrance

JayTerrance Active Member

At the 48 second mark there are 4 chords descending in pitch right before the main guitar comes in - I'm trying to figure out (reasonably close) how they accomplished that sound with the bass. Is it all keys? Any Ideas/Stabs at this?

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

There are YouTube videos of them playing it live, just guitar, keys, bass, & drums.

I thought the version you posted had slightly more clav tone to the keyboard on the little built-in speakers I listened on. I'll give it another go next time I'm at the desktop computer with better speakers.

3. JayTerrance

Yeah - it seems like they've got some layers of things going on. I'm hearing some hard-panned analog sounds also.

4. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Youtube have pulled the video, so couldn't listen.

5. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

It must be a regional thing Paul, both of the embedded videos still play for me.

And upon giving it a closer listen, I'm not sure there's much more going on in that section than the greatness of Lee Ritenour.

6. paulears

paulears Well-Known Member

Bummer - n ot to worry.

7. JayTerrance

I also had that thought in the back of my mind.

8. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Its working here for me Down Under

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

All I hear is the extension of the chord pattern to all the instruments....really nothing more than great arrangement. There is some sort of middle register keyboard layer that sounds like a marimba or some sort of modern kind of beaten wood instrument. Its sitting right in there with the bass. And the guitar damped with palm mute behind the chords....

10. JayTerrance

Thanks for the input and the listen. After listening to this many times, I started wondering if I was listening to some intricate layering going on. Of course by listening to it over and over I probably started hearing all kinds of "things". There is something special about that guitar part though - the way it must be played/the way it works together with the rest.

11. Stephen John

Stephen John Member

Seems to be layering going on, a eery keyboard sound. Most likely a low pass filter with the highs cut off at around 3-5k.

http://www.developyoursound.com