1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Any luck with Tube Bass Traps

Discussion in 'Studio Acoustics' started by tertsipede, Apr 8, 2002.

1. tertsipede

tertsipede Guest

Have you had luck with self-made tubetraps or such?
    (or maybe luck does not play a role in it ;) )

I am planning to treat a small pre-production room acustically. I pretty well know the methods for taming bass-frequency modes, early reflections and using diffusors.

For bass-damping, it looks like the tube traps would do well. ThereĀ“s a DIY-guide on

Now I would like to know if any of you have had any luck with similar approaches.

- Teuvo
  2. Mike Simmons

Mike Simmons Active Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Home Page:

I've never built one of these because I've seen alot of opinions that say they don't work, so I'm not going to be much help to you there. That being said, I kept a file of different DIY ideas that I found on the web and thought I'd share them here (most have been posted before).

Good luck!
  3. tertsipede

tertsipede Guest

Curious G,

Thank you very much for your response! The links were helpful.

Has anyone else had any luck with the tube trap method?

4. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Jan 27, 2002

I'm about to experiment with one of the above to tune the low end of my Control Room, I'll post back my results.

5. mocsa

mocsa Guest

I built two rectangular traps with a 1'x1' base. The sides are 1" thick compressed glass fiber. (I simply cut two 2'x4' panels into half and glued them airtight.)
    I did not notice a considerable reduction in bass in my 10'x13' bedroom studio. I think I will need more. Even ASC recommends to start with several of their traps to have a noticeable change.
    I put them in the room corners. They nicely resonate when the bass is loud. You can feel it when you touch it.
    When I complement the traps with two 2'x4' panels behind me (to reduce reflections from back wall) I can achieve a quite good mixing environment. The front wall is covered with 2" thick foam (a temporary solution).