1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

anybody have focusrite liquid channel time ? stereo pair??

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Guelph_Guy, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Guelph_Guy

Guelph_Guy Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a pair of focusrite liquid channels with output via aes/ebu.as a stereo output.

I've got the document on the setup, but what I fail to understand how a/d output from the slave pre amp
    Gets chained into the master pre amp and out the aes/ebu on the master preamp.

Does it get passed via the RCA digital linking cables? (that's my best guess). If that's the case , is a standard RCA audio cable sufficient?... or do I need like an spdif cable for the connection?

Can't seem to get this sorted out (more reading lol !!!!)

Has anybody, had any experience with this ?

Thanks
    K

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you need to use the digital link as well. You need an RCA digital cable, they are made better than audio RCA cables.
    One thing I'm not sure is if you will be able to send both signals through the AES, that would imply there's a redirection path of some kind...

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Yes, for linking a pair of Focusrite Liquid Channels, cross-connect the Digital Link RCA inputs and outputs on the two boxes using RCA cables specified for digital use (e.g. S/PDIF cables). Use the setup application to select the two channels as your sources for the stereo output. You will also need a 75 Ohm BNC cable connecting the clock out of the master box to the clock in on the slave box. Your stereo digital output is available on the AES/EBU connector on the master box. See the diagram example 5 on p12 of the Liquid Channel User Guide.

Assuming you have a recorder or an interface that can accept an AES/EBU stereo input, you must be careful about the clocking, and may need to run another BNC clock cable from the recorder or interface to the master LC. If you can, I would set up the master LC as the master clock driving both the slave LC and your interface or recorder as a daisy-chain via a 75 Ohm T-piece. Connect the recorder/interface clock input between the two LC units using the T-piece with no terminator on the recorder/interface.

pcrecord likes this.
  4. Guelph_Guy

Guelph_Guy Active Member

Thanks Boswell, yes I was stumped over what kind of cable ,,when it said RCA I kept thinking audio ?? But its a digital, bus,?? so, It didn't quite sound right to me, anyhow... I, picked up some SPDIF cables at lunch , and of course I left them at work DOH!

anyhow, I'm good with the document, I, just didn't know what kind of RCA cable , high ,impedance?, 75ohm spdif ?...Its not described very well in the documentation. Anyhow, I'll be rigging them up tomorrow night so all should be good. My project studio is coming along fine. lots of changes this year.

Thanks for the reply..and the help
    Cheers
    K

5. Guelph_Guy

Guelph_Guy Active Member

I'll be clocking with word clock off my 'repaired Big Ben' that blue light devil.....lol

And I grabbed the BNC and 75ohm terminators to terminate the load properly.

pcrecord likes this.