1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Anyone know EV RE-38N ?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jonyoung, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I bought one of these a few years back at a liquidation sale for cents on the dollar. I just got my room up & running, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Anyone else own one, and what are your favorite uses? Thanks.

2. macgrooves

macgrooves Guest

Hi

I own two of them, and use them mainly on snare and toms. They are probably not the most linear mics, but produce great impact for precussive instruments. If you have acurate monitoring, try out the freq selector. Killer on snare!

Have fun
    Marco

3. jonyoung

Marco, Have you ever tried it on kick? I had to buy the mic stand bracket from an EV rep because the one that came with the mic was missing. He was under the impression that the sensitivity of the capsule made it less than perfect for high SPL use, but the one time I've plugged it in so far, I found myself adding a fair amount of trim on acoustic guitar to get a useable level, so I guess he was wrong! Can't wait to try it for snare, the response curve looks perfect for it. Where in Germany are you? I have friends over there.

4. macgrooves

macgrooves Guest

Hey

never tried it on kick, but i think it will work, espacially for the attack. Acoustic instruments don´t work this well with this mic.

I´m from a small town near Frankfurt called Aschaffenburg. Where do your friens life?

Marco

5. jonyoung

My friends are in Biberach, not too far from Ulm. Last time I was there, I drove to Wiesbaden, about 3 hours away. Isn't that right next to Frankfurt? Have you ever used the 38 for a guitar amplifier or bass amp? I usually record bass direct through a preamp, but have always wanted to try tracking from an amp just to compare the difference. Chus!

6. macgrooves

macgrooves Guest

Wiesbaden is about 25min from Aschaffenburg. I know Biberach by often doing live gigs in this region.

Never tried it on a bass amp, but on guitar, I don´t like it that much. MD421 is much better. Try a Beta52 for both (especially on clean guitar amps :tu: ).

7. jonyoung

Marco, One of my friends there is Johannes Riedel, he used to be on Radio 7. Do you know him? I need to pick up a Beta52, thanks for that tip!