1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Anyone recommend a good STRING synth?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jonnystevens, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jonnystevens

jonnystevens Guest

Hello,

I'm running logic 7 and I have a korg triton. I am looking for the most realistic string sounds. Anyone know of a good software for that?

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I have your edirols orchestra, I like that one. I have also used Synful, which was decent. Both I found CPU hogs though, Synful being the worst of the 2.

3. jonnystevens

jonnystevens Guest

I don't think edirols erchestra works with logic..

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

East west's Symphonic Orchestra has the most convincing string section I've heard.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra-Platinum-Plus-Complete-pr-EW-177.html

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

And one more, which I understand is the finest sounding on the planet to date.

Audio Impressions
    DVZ Realtime Instruments - Audio Impressions virtual instruments and sample libraries.

http://audioimpressions.com

They are releasing their long awaited library shorty.

6. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Sonic Reality has some pretty accurate string sounds. I picked up the symphonic expansion tank last year or so, and it is believable.

7. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Here's a tangentially related question - I'm looking for a synth keyboard or workstation for live use in a church. This would be a second keyboard in addition to a stage piano, so the primary focus would be strings and various pads. (Which means I'm not quite trying to hijack the thread!) What do you like best for this?

8. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

I've got the Yamaha Motif in a rack mount and love the sounds. The keyboard is popular I just didn't need the controller

Phil

9. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

i second the yamaha motif.
    the yamaha motif 6 is probably the most popular of them (cheapest and oldest model from the series[700$] )
    and then you have the more advanced models with the same sounds and on top of the same sounds but with more options such as arpegio loops guitar pluck loops new synth sounds more memory etc.
    if the music budget a relatively good even then i might say depending on your skills with workstations the simpler motif 6 or the motif 8 (has 88 weighted keys and the motif has 61 keyboard keys) are more simple.

10. BrianaW

BrianaW Active Member

I use Edirol Orchestral sometimes... but in my opinion, the Miroslav Philharmonik strings beat out everything I've heard so far. I love them. But I just checked out the Audio Impressions demo, and I'm completely blown away! :)

http://www.philharmonik.com/Main.html?prod_MPCE.php

11. EricWatkins

EricWatkins Active Member

There are SO many options in the way of string libraries. I own EWQL Platinum and I love them. That said, there are many others and the answer to your question is going to be different depending on who you ask. I've heard great things about Sonivox and there's also VSL. Once you get into that league, thier all great. It's just a matter of what you like best. Also be sure when you are looking at these libs, that you note which ones come with thier own player and which one require a host like Kontakt 3.

On Bob's question, once again, this is subjective. However, for live use, I dont think you can beat the deal of a used Roland XP-30 on ebay. The XP-30 came with the "Session", "Orchestral", and"Techno" expansion boards built in. There are a ton of string sounds in there and a thousand or more other presets too. I still gig with one and also use a Fanton Xa and Korg X-50 (Mini Triton) and the XP's strings have way more variety than any of the others. Hope this helps.

E

12. jonnystevens

jonnystevens Guest

Anyone know where you can buy Audio Impressions DVZ or how much it costs?

13. Space

Space Well-Known Member

It seems to be in the vapor wear department at the present time. I located "talk" back to 2006, a lot of "Coming Soon" ads but nobody nowhere actually had a copy for sale.

Maybe its one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" things?

14. Greener

Greener Guest

15. Space

Space Well-Known Member

It yields more videos.

16. Greener

Greener Guest

I too noticed the blatant add like nature of that forum. But now seems to be the time to use it.
    I'd rather listen to a couple of dozen half drunk, badly dressed musicians than that computer but it floats some boats.

Sure is shiny in that video. I think it's got a lot to do with the guy on the keys though.

That's my 1/50th of a dollar.

17. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Right...whatever...so who is selling it?

18. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

When the Administrator of the forum posts it, I think it's ok and not intended as spam.

19. dterry

dterry Active Member

As probably already noted - it seems to still be unreleased. There is going to be a demo on 9/27 at the Composers' Expo in LA (Renaissance Montura LAX). The last price range I heard was about $10k, but I think it varies depending on the farm/computer system you order with it (there has to be a host, and slave systems for DVZ).

The first demos apparently weren't very impressive, but it may be much better now.

Unless you are looking for the cutting edge that DVZ advertises, but has yet to be proven in the real world afaik, I would look at East West's Symp. Orch Play (Silver, Gold or Platinum depending on your budget) for a pro level library. VSL is also excellent, but more of a "classical" sound (EW has a more aggressive/Hollywood sound) - with VSL you can go for the higher end ($$) sets, or something like SE which is more affordable, but fewer articulations (and few velocity layers I believe). Sonivox Strings are also great, but used a smaller string section and less reverberant hall, and it doesn't sound as broad as EW or VSL (partly a performance difference, as well as the smaller hall).

It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for - there are also MOTU's lib, and a few others in the budget category.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

dterry has it correct.

Chris Stone is the person behind all the designing of this. This is very high end, still being tested and tweaked. I have a demo coming that I'm looking forward to testing.

I'm not sure the exact price, but its pricy. I think the list on it is going to be around $3500.00 USD for only the software. The added price is the optional turn key hardware, I believe.
    Recording.org will have a link and comments in the Pro Shop when it is finally available to the public. Following the release of the strings, will be real brass, drums, guitars etc.