1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Anyone seen reviews of this soundcard?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Phil Elmore, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

1212M Master-Level Recording System

Anyone own one of these? I'm concerned about the compatibility with other componets, any info would be helpful. Thanks.

[ January 31, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Foster ]

2. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

For everyone too lazy to click the link, its an E-Mu 1212M 24bit/192kHz card

Well its $199 and features mastering-grade converters. They should put everyone out of business if its true. :roll:

And its not yet available, the link says 2/18/04, and it was just announced last week at NAMM. I'd say give it three months from that date and the initial reviews will start to come out.

mitz

3. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

You're observant, I missed that. Did you see that they're advertising these in their catalog as the same converters used in the Pro-Tools HD-192.

4. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Active Member

Yeh, I'd be waiting on the initial roll out of this and check out the reveiws afterwards. $199.xx, can't beat that....same converters in the PT HD system? Hmmm..... :eek:

5. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

That may be the case, but here's the big secret. There is analog circuitry that comes before the ADC and after the DAC, and it has a huge impact on the sound quality. SO they may be the same converters, but that's still not saying much.

6. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

Yeah, I suppose that could make or brake it. Isn't E-Mu a synth manufacturer? I guess maybe I am just attracted to it because I think it's just exactly what I need-no more no less-compared to my current config. (8 in, 8 out,Spdif). I like the idea of simplifying things, and maybe even going without a real world mixer in the signal chain. Hey Mark, bump me in May...

7. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Phil my memory is nowhere that good.

E-Mu is a synth maker, has been for years They were acquired by Creative a while back, an, since then, basically their synth R&D has been on zero budget, besides creating new sample ROMs for existing synth architectures. Let's hope that trend changes.

Oh and a good idea for mixerless setups is something like the Samson C Control.

8. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

The last known hardware system they put out was the "Emu Darwin", almost a decade ago.

9. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

Thanks guys, great info. I was wondering about that word that kept reappearing in the ad text-"Creative"....are Intel and Creative linked? Hmmmmmm.............

[ March 01, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Phil E. ]

10. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

Thanks guys, great info. I was wondering about that word that kept reappearing in the ad text-"Creative"....are Microsoft and Creative linked? Hmmmmmm.............

11. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Guest

Sorry, guys didn't mean to double post, thought I was editing the first message.