1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Anyone use AKG D660S mics for recording?

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by appleking, Jul 11, 2005.

1. appleking

appleking Guest

hey folks!

i just ordered a presonus firebox to get sound into my computer and the deal came with two AKG D660S dynamic cardioide mics. i was originally planning on buying a couple of 57s or 58s for studio recording (mostly vocals and acoustic guitar), but now i've got these akg's coming, so i'm trying to find out if i should waste my time and energy trying to get decent sound out of them, or if i should just resell them and buy some condensor mics...ANY thoughts would be much appreciated!

here's a link to the product description:

http://www.akg.com/products//powers...anguage,EN.html

(they *seem* to be more for performance than for recording)

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

They *are* more for performance than recording. The 660 is a "budget" mic, and AKG's strength in the mic world is NOT exactly "budget" anything. They might be acceptable when stuck in front of a guitar amp or to record a revved-up Vespa, but otherwise, take 'em down to your local music store and trade 'em for a couple of stands. Or a FuzzFace. Ditch 'em, baby!
    Then get yourself a couple of REAL mics...Like a 58 for the voice and a 57 for everything else....PEACE!

BTW...The AKG D880 makes a great snare mic, but it's hard to sing into a snare mic when you're playing guitar!