1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

aphex 207D VS Art MPA Gold

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by imagineaudio, May 9, 2005.

1. imagineaudio

imagineaudio Active Member

Nov 24, 2004
    After searching for my first "real" preamp I've decided on a sebatron 2000eVu. I am putting money into an account and hope to purchase it within about 4 months.

However, I need something to use in the mean time. Based on my setup and my needs, I've narrowed it down to these 2 units. I chose them because they have s/pdif which I can use on my current interface and also most likely be able to use with my next soundcard for 2 extra channels.

I do not expect these to be spectacular pre's, but I do expect them to preform better than the built in pre's on my soundcard.

The unit will be used for everything untill the sebatron becomes part of the family, after that I suspect they would mostly be used for either drum oh's or kick/snare untill I can get 2 more channels of good pre (looks like the seventh circle stuff) (which seems like that upgrade will be after my interface and monitor upgrades) . So I guess I'll need a couple years out of it.

Which one of these units would you choose? I've read good things about the aphex 1100 MKII so I assume aphex has the ability to make good gear. I've never heard anything great said about the art stuff on the other hand. I'm not looking for "tube warmth" bull$hit.

Which is more worthy of my $400 investment?
  2. imagineaudio

imagineaudio Active Member

Nov 24, 2004

I can get a an ISA 428 from american musical supply for 5 interest free payments of $339, free shipping and no tax!!. This seems the way to go. Get the pre's I can use now and for a long time to come. The sebatron will have to wait though.....

I need pre's right now, I can't record till I get them, and this seems to be the best option for me.

Anyody have any other options? I have $500 to spend right now, It'll take me about 3 months to break the $1200-1300 mark, I have no problems making payments and I have not read anything negative about this piece of kit. saving for another few months would mean not recording for another few months

Can anyone confirm this as a wise choice/investment? Im going to see if I can rent one before I buy.....

Thanks guys