1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

API 3124B+ being put to a "different" use

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by FMNYC, Jan 24, 2005.

1. FMNYC

FMNYC Guest

hi all!

new guy here, thank you in advance for any advice you guys might have.
    here's the deal:

trying to mix out of the box these days and beginning to get gear together (little by little) that will enable to finally do it all OTB someday.

the rig:

rosetta AD - the 2 channel old one
    mini-dac 2 - the 2 channel new one
    motu 2408 mk3
    mindprint dtc pre

the plan:

well, the original plan was: come out of the mk3 eight 1/4" outs via DSUB into an API Line Mixer 8200a for summing, eventually get an D/A converter with more outs so i will not have to use my 2408 D/A converters, the motu converters will have to do for now.
    out of the 8200a and into my rosetta as a stereo track and i'm done.

the question:

i recently took notice of the 3124MB+.
    so i go to thinking, if i get that piece i will still be able to get four mono tracks out of the computer (or two stereo) sum them in the 3124MB+ and then back in via my rosetta.
    i believe the 3124MB+ has a stereo return in the back.
    the reason for going this way is that i will then have more than just a line mixer, i will have four API pre's and a line mixer. plus the ability to further adjust gain etc using API's circuitry.
    the downside is that i will not be able to run as many tracks out of my machine at a time but i don't mind, i got plenty of beer.

what do you guys think?
    good idea or am i smoking the crack pipe?

cheers!

FM

FM... film at eleven.