1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Apogee AD-1000 / Crane Song HEDD users?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by JasonCrouch, Apr 24, 2001.

1. JasonCrouch

JasonCrouch Guest

was wondering if anyone here has used this particular piece of gear.

Its a 5 year old or so 20-bit ADC with built in Millennia-Media preamps that are based on the HV-3s (these are dual servo where as the hv-3s are not servo pres)

anyways - I also know not many here are DAW trackers, but I am becoming one - and am using this box often as a mic pre and a/d depending on the tone I am looking for.

The box is ultra quiet, ultra transparent - and yeilds a rather large image that fills the soundstage from top to bottom very smoothly.

I love this piece, yet havent really really listened to the crane song HEDD

was hoping some has used both and can offer some differences - anyone want to trade boxes for a week?

take care - Jason C. Crouch

2. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

The last time I used the Apogee AD-1000 was around 1996? maybe, and back then it had a great sound(remember though the standard was still 16bit at the time). Most of the guys that I know that still use them are classical engineers, and they swear by them. I now own three diffrent converters, Hedd 192, Mytek D/A 8X96 and Prism converters(I also own a TC 96K Finalizer, but I only use it when I want to dirty up the sound). They all sound different, and I use them for different things-when I am doing Pop/Dance/Rnb/Rock, I find myself mixing through the Hedd, though the Prism sometimes gives me a clearer image(I also mix through an analog compressor). Sometimes its the other way around(if I do a Jazz thing, which I rarely do these days). The Myteks I use as my converters hooked up through AES to some Digi888's. One thing I've learned is that no converter is the be all end all. I am not a big Apogee fan, the times that I have used their stuff, in my opinion it made the music almost "plastic" sounding. If I had to choose one, than it would probably be the Hedd 192(it takes a while to master the pentode/triode/and tape saturation settings, but I think I've finally got the hang of it). Your music tastes will probably be the deciding factor.