1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

apogee trak2

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by reddb, Sep 16, 2003.

1. reddb

reddb Guest

I was just wondering what are peoples feelings toward the apogee trak2 mic pre/di and 24/96 conversion system compared to others in the price?

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

I can't compare the Trak2 to other similarly priced units, but I can say that it is a fantastic unit. I use it for overdubs of most instruments and especially vocals.

I'm also using it as the master clock for my setup. I send the clock to an Aardvark SyncDA, which then distributes the clock to my tc M3000 and RME Multiface.

I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay the usual street prices of about $3,500 +/-. By good luck, I found a new unit on eBay for $2,300 from Alto Music in NY state.

For what they're asking for it, I wish they would have at least put a stereo D/A on it. You used to be able to buy that, but now they don't make it anymore.

But the mic pres are very good and the Apogee A/D conversion and clock are superb, so all in all, it's part of the heart of my setup.

Ron...

Mac G4
    Logic Platinum

3. reddb

reddb Guest

ok. since the a/d converter is already built in does this mean its not wise or i cant apply effects before its actually recorded?

4. heinz

heinz Guest

reddb,

The Trak2 has balanced line in/out which enables you to put f/x in line before A/D. In fact the unit has super-flexible routing, so you can route anything into the line-in's to hit the a/d. And with the optional d/a hardware installed you can easily route from your DAW out to f/x and back in, as well as running your monitors off the high-quality d/a and other cool uses.

These are going pretty cheap on eBay now... I just sold mine w/8DAC & ADAT for around $2200. Would never have sold it if I hadn't needed 8ch A/D, it was a great sounding box. Ended up buying a Rosetta 800.